Do we basically dislike the new generations of saws?

MudRut

Hi all.

Reading some of the threads about the new generations of saws, it seems that there is a loss of love for the major players' products.

I'm a confirmed Stihl fan. I use Husqvarna when I am in Sweden and while there is no doubt they are a fine unit, I just am used the the fit, feel and characteristics of Stihl.

My oldest Stihl is a late 90s 390 which has been surprisingly robust for a non-pro saw. I've got a 200T and a 460 which must be about 10 years old and one of the last 260s. I took the plunge and bought a 661 about a year ago, half expecting a load of pain, but it has been rock-solid, getting a lot of use with a 30 inch bar.

Talking to my cutting buddy, he has a 1998 260 which has been run hard and not really given much TLC, but it is one of his favourites.

We both would think twice before buying, say, a 261 or 362. What's ruining it for the manufacturers? Emissions, cost-cutting, or a push towards the latest unproven technology?

I'm a heavy user, but I'm really interested to know what the guys who depend on these machines for a living think.

regards

Ian

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I prefer the newer stuff to be honest with the exception of the 200t, but they weren't perfect due to carbs and off switches. Recently bought a ms461 and it's brilliant. Had a ms261 which really liked until it got stolen, never liked the 260 as was too sluggish even if they do last forever

Really interesting replies. As I said, I am really happy with my 661 and the next saw I buy will be midsize (362 or 461).

Is it really a case of unhappy users make a lot more noise than the happy ones? I have read a fair amount of warm-start-woes.

I'd have said so, I've got a 550xp that's a pain to start when it's warm out so that will be eBayed and replaced with a 261 when I get over the open wallet surgery of the 461!

But overall i think there's lots of noise from unhappy customers but the other 1000's of saws out there you never hear about cos the owners haven't anything to complain about

Is it really a case of unhappy users make a lot more noise than the happy ones?

My guess is 80% that.

But when a dealer can't sort a computer issue it does magnify the stress and down time for the owner.

And carbed strato motors are harder to tune for the average joe. So much easier to run too lean and seize.

I recon there's a fair bit of rose tinted specticle wearing going on with regards to the older generation of saws. At one point I had a 254xp 353 and 550xp at the same time and much as the older saws had grunt and cut fine they were no match for the 550 especially when things like anti vibe and fuel consumption come into the equation. Don't get me wrong I'm amongst the first to say they don't make em like they used to and the latest offerings from both stihl and husky seem to have enough issues between them to consider looking elsewhere, maybe this is why the likes of dolmar/makita and echo are gaining popularity but I guess time will tell

My general rule of thumb is never buy a brand new model of saw, as they tend to have teething issues.

If I heard there was a new ms202 top handle coming out next month, I'd go straight out and buy a new 201 to see me through the next couple of years.

Once a saw has been out for a while I wouldn't have any is is buying a pro saw from any manufacturer, it's just personal preference over how it feels then IMO