Looking for some chipper recommendations

mr_magicfingers

Morning all, I'm looking to buy a chipper to help deal with sorting out our little woodland and would appreciate some advice on suitable models. We've 7 acres of over stood hazel coppice with some oak and ash standards. It's not been touched in 30 years or so and is a bit of a mess. We're gradually taking down all the hangups and windblown trees and then I'm going to gradually return it to a coppice rotation but along the way I'll be clearing it and dealing with the overgrown hedgerows too.

Anything big enough to become firewood goes into our log store as we heat the house with logs and solar. Some of the brash will get used to cover hazel stools and rebuild some hedging where it's thin but that still leaves a huge amount of brash and small branches that would otherwise need burning, which I'm not too keen on.

We're opening a small glamping campsite and so wood chip will always come in handy for laying out paths and for mulching areas of garden and smallholding, along with lining the chicken houses and for the composting loos on-site.

It won't be full time work, and it's not a big commercial operation, just me and my partner or a friend working our way through the woods in the years to come. I've a Massey 135 so a PTO chipper was what I was thinking unless a standalone is considered a better option as I have a Kawasaki Mule that could tow it if needed.

Budget is £2-2.5k which I realise doesn't put me in the professional league of machines but hopefully I can find something that will last if not being put through professional abuse.

Given the size of the coppice I can't see it needing to do anything bigger than 4-5" as larger than that becomes firewood when snedded. I'm down in Devon if location helps at all. The only one I've looked at so far is the 6" one on here Home Page as they're close to us and we bought one of their finish mowers.

Grateful for any advice. Thanks.

Morning all, I'm looking to buy a chipper to help deal with sorting out our little woodland and would appreciate some advice on suitable models. We've 7 acres of over stood hazel coppice with some oak and ash standards. It's not been touched in 30 years or so and is a bit of a mess. We're gradually taking down all the hangups and windblown trees and then I'm going to gradually return it to a coppice rotation but along the way I'll be clearing it and dealing with the overgrown hedgerows too.

Anything big enough to become firewood goes into our log store as we heat the house with logs and solar. Some of the brash will get used to cover hazel stools and rebuild some hedging where it's thin but that still leaves a huge amount of brash and small branches that would otherwise need burning, which I'm not too keen on.

We're opening a small glamping campsite and so wood chip will always come in handy for laying out paths and for mulching areas of garden and smallholding, along with lining the chicken houses and for the composting loos on-site.

It won't be full time work, and it's not a big commercial operation, just me and my partner or a friend working our way through the woods in the years to come. I've a Massey 135 so a PTO chipper was what I was thinking unless a standalone is considered a better option as I have a Kawasaki Mule that could tow it if needed.

Budget is £2-2.5k which I realise doesn't put me in the professional league of machines but hopefully I can find something that will last if not being put through professional abuse.

Given the size of the coppice I can't see it needing to do anything bigger than 4-5" as larger than that becomes firewood when snedded. I'm down in Devon if location helps at all. The only one I've looked at so far is the 6" one on here Home Page as they're close to us and we bought one of their finish mowers.

Grateful for any advice. Thanks.

I would go with the TRW offerings if they are right on your doorstep, Tim Woodcock is an ok guy and you will get good service.

Bob