Reliable, light 50cc professional saw - which one?

ADC

I'm running a ms241 (a bit under the power that you asked for) with a 16" bar on it, and it's a dream. Beautifully balanced, and munches through stuff almost as quickly as the 460 with an 18" bar. A good saw for climbing with as well.

I'm tempted by the 261 as well, but cannae justify a second saw so close to the other.

I'm a stihl boy, always have been, tried huskies, didn't like them. I was never impressed with an echo blower a guy I used to work for had 10 or so years ago, so I've never been there either. Can't really comment on the rest, although I think that the makita/dolmar saws are the same units, just different badges

Would not touch an efco with a barge pole , owned a 50cc oleo Mac which is essentially the same saw like the husky /jonsered thing (which I can't believe people put higher on a list considering it's the same but never mind!) it lasted well until I needed parts then it was almost impossible, I also had a 70cc efco on demo a few months back and it was sluggish the chain brake broke and in general just didn't feel up to much.

The makita / dolmar felt good when I tried it and to be honest owning ms 260's ,261's husky 550's and In the past 346's I would say it would be close between the 550 and the mak/dolly 5105 for new saw time.. The husky felt it reved that bit more whilst the makita felt like it had a bit more torque.

Can't comment on the echo I've not used any of the new models but the saws I have used felts like 80's throw backs and didn't grow on me at all.

Would not touch an efco with a barge pole , owned a 50cc oleo Mac which is essentially the same saw like the husky /jonsered thing (which I can't believe people put higher on a list considering it's the same but never mind!) it lasted well until I needed parts then it was almost impossible, I also had a 70cc efco on demo a few months back and it was sluggish the chain brake broke and in general just didn't feel up to much.

The makita / dolmar felt good when I tried it and to be honest owning ms 260's ,261's husky 550's and In the past 346's I would say it would be close between the 550 and the mak/dolly 5105 for new saw time.. The husky felt it reved that bit more whilst the makita felt like it had a bit more torque.

Can't comment on the echo I've not used any of the new models but the saws I have used felts like 80's throw backs and didn't grow on me at all.

I can get Jonsered spares from Ireland faster than my "down the road Husky clueless dealer " can get parts to me ! i rate them higher for this reason .

I can get Jonsered spares from Ireland faster than my "down the road Husky clueless dealer " can get parts to me ! i rate them higher for this reason .

I didn't even think there was any j red dealers left in the uk , when I wanted one the only option was an import.

Ditto:

You say reliable so the honours go in this order (imo)

1st: Echo

2nd: Dolmar

3rd: Solo

4th: Stihl

5th: Jonsered

6th: Efco

7th: Husqvarna

That list says a lot more about the one that wrote it, than about any saws or saw brands. :evilgrin02::lol:

I am looking to get a 50cc saw, I prize reliability and good engineering, and have been impressed with a smaller Makita / Dolmar 34, and 3501. I also have a Still 390. In practice I tend to go for the lightest saw that will do the job at hand as the Stihl gives me backache and the air filter clogs up quickly!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes the smaller new dolmar / makita models are lively and popular

I want a professional saw that will last me a long time, and I don't necessarilly want the latest gizmos and catalytic converters if they just add to the weight and reduce reliability, although easy start does appeal!

But this is going too get harder with emissions laws to get a saw without the above

FR Jones are doing good deals on the Husky 550, 10-15% off + spare bars and chains chucked in, but judging by comments it is not the most reliable saw out there ...

The professional Makita 5000 appeals to me, as does the the Dolmar 5105 series or the older design Dolmar 115.

The 115 Denys all emissions , fashions , fads , models come and go but this saw has stayed in the line up for nearly 30yrs :thumbup::thumbup:

Spare parts and servicing are a slight concern if I go for the Dolmar, are they readily available?

It can prove tricky if you use the wrong supplier or dealer it can take a minimum of two weeks for some parts, but again some dealers get them quite quickly and are reliable :thumbup::

I also hear good things about the Stihl 260.

Which would you professionals go for, and are there any other brands I should look at in the 50cc range, or am I looking at the "best" saws available?

If you keep asking these positive questions you will get your answer go for it

:lol::lol:

Edited by shavey