Choosing a Mower advice.....

buford

The New Stiga Twinclip 55 SV H 53cm 4 wheeled mower has at last arrived in stock!

And I have to say that I am very impressed. Well designed, well built and with a good 'feel' to it.

If you are in the market for a tough 53cm mower that comes in around £250 less than the KaaZ, then give this one some thought.

It has a 2 year Pro user warranty too....

[ATTACH]202733[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]202734[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]202735[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]202736[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]202737[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]202738[/ATTACH]

Loved my old stiga 55s but the drives let them down, best anti vibe of any mower. Did you get the forward speed confirmed?

No, sorry I have not, but I tried this one today and it does have a reasonable top speed.

I can confirm its weight at 50kg though.

Thanks for that ended up putting a bigger pully on my 55 to speed in up. Running a toro commercial this year that thing moves.

• 1 year later...
On 13/04/2016 at 21:25, GardenKit said:

The New Stiga Twinclip 55 SV H 53cm 4 wheeled mower has at last arrived in stock!

And I have to say that I am very impressed. Well designed, well built and with a good 'feel' to it.

If you are in the market for a tough 53cm mower that comes in around £250 less than the KaaZ, then give this one some thought.

It has a 2 year Pro user warranty too....

P1020200.jpg.f29a7c3a1e1a41a92903c619d46e89a1.jpg

P1020192.jpg.65d18f89c8e902f4d9636cb66a962e7e.jpg

P1020197.jpg.9c288d5ea95ad13feb91a6b68cf520c8.jpg

P1020196.jpg.e8613d8223e915098e4bbe7ea42b7518.jpg

P1020202.jpg.4cbbeed325dcd15a7168b9a85b74f99f.jpg

P1020194.jpg.8fc57b15540dc784c223e962923fce4b.jpg

How are the drives holding up, they were always a problem on the older stiga 55 turbos. 

2 hours ago, tractorboy1 said:

How are the drives holding up, they were always a problem on the older stiga 55 turbos. 

We have had some of these in the hands of pro users for a couple of seasons and have had no problems at all despite the intensive use.

I have a lot of respect for the Twinclip range of mowers, great quality at a cracking price.

8 minutes ago, GardenKit said:

We have had some of these in the hands of pro users for a couple of seasons and have had no problems at all despite the intensive use.

I have a lot of respect for the Twinclip range of mowers, great quality at a cracking price.

Thanks for that, seems a bit strange the model with the BBC in 160cc and the model without has the 190cc.

6 minutes ago, tractorboy1 said:

Thanks for that, seems a bit strange the model with the BBC in 160cc and the model without has the 190cc.

To be honest, 160cc is more than enough power, the 21" Kaaz  and it's variants have used it for years.

The Stiga BBC model has a 160cc GXV  engine, a much higher quality engine than the  190cc GCV  in the lesser models

11 minutes ago, GardenKit said:

To be honest, 160cc is more than enough power, the 21" Kaaz  and it's variants have used it for years.

The Stiga BBC model has a 160cc GXV  engine, a much higher quality engine than the  190cc GCV  in the lesser models

:D

• 1 year later...

I don't buy the advice you're getting here - I bought a 22" husqy mower for somewhere between £380-450 in 2013 and its still going strong. It's a mulcher but can collect too, but not as good as a dedicated collector because it has a mulching blade, and not a high lift one. It must weigh under forty kg, and stripes very well as well with no roller (you don't need a roller to stripe, just adequate weight). I have worked with Hayters while working for a public authority and also etesias and though my husky did a better job striping without a roller. 

Here's a photo of a mulching job I did - little enough grass left behind, bit of tidying with a £200 handheld blower and bobs your uncle. I rarely photograph jobs but did at least 6 good striped lawns today with it.

Also if you're cutting fortnightly you just throw it up to "3" and it's going to chop about 1.5 inch off and not leave a torrent of grass behind.

Also for overgrown lawns I got a walk behind strimmer for £325 - tondu - Chinese crap probably, but used it the first time today and a lawn which goes nuts with growth and it left a nice finish, even with blades of grass behind. I stress blades - on very thick lawns the mulcher will leave clumpy deposits of grass that look terrible and are still there in a month's time. The trick is to collect when you need to and mulch when you can - one day's grass cutting and constantly changing bag will kill your back in my experience. So go husky is my advice.

Btw I left that husky out in the rain for one year after rear axle broke having chucked it out of trailer one two many times. When I fixed it last year it fired up first go. The blade looks utterly knackered and still cuts like a dream....20190328_115107.thumb.jpg.ef67020f89580002b5ca5d2d9857d60b.jpg

I just bought a Stiga mulching mower (dedicated, so no option to collect and front drive too) and it's excellent. I've always hated picking up grass clippings, so a mulcher is perfect for me. Just over £300 including VAT and well worth it.