Undertaking the PTI this week - any advice?

Lake

Hey all, undertaking the PTI this week - quite nervous; I've been cracking the books and just wanted a bit of input!

I've been through many threads on the forum reg. the PTI, I think I just want a bit of reassurance :thumbup: !

My focus areas have been:

The Axiom of uniform stress, and the minimum lever arm (as well as running back through The Body Language of Trees, (t/R .etc))

Tree inspectors and land owner's duty of care (plundering a bit of case law)

Fungi idents

Tree idents

Brushing up on basic biology and physiology

And I'll be out in the field undertaking personal surveys of my own this weekend.

Anything I've missed? I know two people who have passed first time and I'd like to get it done right first go round.

Be thorough in your inspection of the trees but recording only that deemed to be important, either based on visual prominence, eg large superficial bark-wound, or significance, eg decay fungi present AND ensure this is then followed up by appropriate recommendations and timescales (this is often the subjective bit so back it up with your thinking / logic succinctly I would suggest.) You may wish to show a systematic approach here listing out i) crown area, ii) branch structure, iii) stem, iv) bole / root-plate etc.

Also don't dwell on any one area of the assessment too long, think you have 2 hrs so plan it effectively.

Lastly, one you're in possession of the course work-book, make that your study guide each night.

Lastly...RELAX n enjoy.

Good luck :thumbup1:

Paul

You have covered the basics and Paul offers good advice. If you know the areas you list and have experience in doing surveys its not that hard so don't worry too much just do what you know.

To add to what Paul said. Remember tree inspection is a process - findings - conclusions - recommendations. Don't start forming conclusions on something you haven't mentioned in your findings, and make sure you form a conclusion for all of your findings. Then recommendations should be based on and should address both. I know this sounds like common sense but its a pretty common mistake.

Also, inspectors tend to get consumed by structural condition but remember to assess in terms of physiological condition also. And proof read, spelling mistakes won't go down well.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Thats what I was getting at but poorly worded. It will still be a good course to do even if failing first time around. Hopefully get a sound knowledge of what will be required the next time round. I will try and pass it though😁

Maybe not the best attitude to have eh!

It'a not that difficult really. The first part of the exam is answerable from the PTI booklet, the survey part is straight forward if you keep an eye on the time and don't stress it too much.

If you've a fairly decent tree knowledge and can assess risks, probability, priority of work etc it's straight forward enough. You probably will feel under a lot of exam pressure though (I did) but use all the time you given. Everyone had finished in the classroom well before me, but I used the time to the maximum to proof read, add bits etc. Don't stress it.

Thinking exactly the same Jake! I won't be too gutted if it doesn't go my way, but there is an inkling that it will be significantly less difficult than I'm making it out to be. I will however be very happy if I pass. Only thing that concerns me is questions in the examination and being on top of my fungi idents.

Edited by Lake