welding hedge cutter blades

flatyre

Mend it with a new one

Any repair like welding or brazing is going to mean highly localised heating with extreme temperatures. For a strip material like a blade that means distortion loss of the required qualities such as hardness, temper and durability

Have a go if you have nothing better to do but if you are in a situation where you have to pay someone to do it, its hard to see how you can make it commercially viable

Just wondering if its possible to weld the broken blade on a Kawasaki TF22 hedge cutter?

If its for your own use around the garden etc then give it a go and weld it, but if its for making you an income then bin it and get a stihl.

I used to repair high tensile silage block cutter blades for a customer many years ago. I used dissimilar metal rods which gave a good success rate. However as treequip says you will lose the local hardness and temper so it never will be as good as new. If you do attempt the repair try to keep the blade temperature as low as possible to reduce the damage.

I have access to a highly skilled blacksmith and forge, should I get him to fire weld the blade and then re temper it or should I mig or arc weld it then give him it to temper?

To be honest, you will loose the temper at the site of the weld, but that's no bad thing as you want your weld to be ductile rather than brittle. Ok, the heat may soften the adjacent blades, but you wont notice much difference.

As others have said though, is it really worth the bother? Just buy new blades.

I have access to a highly skilled blacksmith and forge, should I get him to fire weld the blade and then re temper it or should I mig or arc weld it then give him it to temper?

Forget the forge. Weld it with as good a rod that you can get your hands on. Personally I would use 299 dissimilar metal rods but watch your eyes as the flux flies as the weld cools. Do it in stages to keep the blade temperature down.

Be advised its highly unlikely to last as long as a new blade.

Forget the forge. Weld it with as good a rod that you can get your hands on. Personally I would use 299 dissimilar metal rods but watch your eyes as the flux flies as the weld cools. Do it in stages to keep the blade temperature down.

Be advised its highly unlikely to last as long as a new blade.

i'll try welding it as you suggest, would be much easier to buy a new blade but having difficulty finding new blades at a fair price considering its an old machine and not worth much.