Power line job

titan

Evening all! Just wanted to pick everyone brains, I've just been offered a job clearing HV/LV power line in Kent. I've only every worked on domestic and been employed. Its a massive change to what I'm used to and I've got to go self employed as well. I would like to know:-

1) How much a team of 3 can cut in a day?

2) What is the going rate per metre?

3) Is there plenty of work?

Many thanks

I'll try to answer...

1. Too many variables - if it's going across farmland, a good team of three could cut 10+ spans a day if it's nipping a bit of elder the flail has missed. Going through heavy woods or scrub, you might struggle to do one span!

2. Never heard of a rate per metre, it's usually done on the span. Don't know what the rate would be in Kent, again it depends on too much to just give an answer

3. Yes, as far as I'm aware - there will always be power lines with trees underneath. It's not everyone's cup of tea, and forget about ever deadwooding a tree again! And nice sympathetic reductions are rare...

Question 1 is a tricky one. So many variables in the mix. What type of stuff are you cutting i.e nasty horrible hawthorn hedge rows or nice flail misses around the bottom of poles. Experience levels of the guys you have cutting with you.

Question 2. Have been out of utilities a while but last I knew it was 120lv per span and 110hv

Sorry for being so vague! Cutting wise its a mix; some is through residential hedges/trees, other areas are through woodland. I would be given a list of pole numbers to follow and it goes from there. You're then paid for the metres cut between poles. I was told an average team cuts 100m per day and a good team will cut 150m per day.