Best sheeting for firewood?

skyhuck

I need to improve my air drying, the poor weather of the last 5 or more months has really set back any drying that took place over the summer.

This year I'd like to get as much smaller diameter cord and billets as possible under some form of sheeting before autumn.

I've wondered wether silage sheeting would be any good and what it costs?

Any other suggestions would be much appreciated :001_smile:

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I need to improve my air drying, the poor weather of the last 5 or more months has really set back any drying that took place over the summer.

This year I'd like to get as much smaller diameter cord and billets as possible under some form of sheeting before autumn.

I've wondered wether silage sheeting would be any good and what it costs?

Any other suggestions would be much appreciated :001_smile:

I've black Silage sheeting is strong until it meets a sharp edge. If you are going down the plastic sheet route then it might be best to attach it to some kind of frame to keep it away from tearing on the logs.... but if you do that it would be better to use polytunnel sheet as you'll get the benefit of solar gain.

cheers, steve

I've black Silage sheeting is strong until it meets a sharp edge. If you are going down the plastic sheet route then it might be best to attach it to some kind of frame to keep it away from tearing on the logs.... but if you do that it would be better to use polytunnel sheet as you'll get the benefit of solar gain.

cheers, steve

We put some on this year it's done the job quite well but torn to shreds in places and will be useless for next year.

Lorry tarps are good but not big enough to cover a whole stack unless it's just one load.

Another thing is whilst we covered a. Stack of beech and sycamore sticks that were already 3 years old some of the uncovered stuff the same age did not go mouldy as bad and dries just as quick when processed and put undercover, but it always seems to go mouldy if processed when wet so cutting has to be done in a dry window.

Something I keep meaning to try is to get heras fencing, make it into squares, one panel on each side and fill them with logs, put a tarp over them and they still get the wind but not the rain.. At the moment we are just storing them in the shed but we keep running out and having to split more, I need some form of outside storage too..

Something I keep meaning to try is to get heras fencing, make it into squares, one panel on each side and fill them with logs, put a tarp over them and they still get the wind but not the rain..

I tried this last year and it worked well, apart from one thing, I should of noticed the direction that the wind nearly always drives and covered that side of the fencing from the rain