Lone working

Johno219

I've had a Spot 3 for about 18 months, initially very pleased with it, but recently I've found that it can take hours, sometimes even days for messages to be received, so I've lost confidence in it for use in an emergency. Currently looking at Delorme InReach, uses a different satellite network to the Spot 3 and is said to have better coverage. Also allows 2 way texting which is a lot better than the pre defined txt that you set up with a Spot 3.

We bought my dad an Inreach a few years ago, seems to work very well.

Not sure wot ur wanting thou?

The inreach (and i think spot) are trackers and send out a bleep every so often as well as having the SOS button. But u will pay a monthly subscrition to it. In reach can also send out a few pre written texts, althou never figured out how to do it

Works really well for my dad as mum always knows where he is or was within the last 10mins.

We don't use it to anything like its true potential as none of us has a smart phone, seemingly u can tie them togther and it works like a satelite phone.

U can also get a PLB, which is just a SOS button, basically u buy it and only use it in an emergancy. But useless unless u actiivate it. But no monthly subs.

I'm meaning to buy 1, a mcmurdo, over iin NZ everyone uses them all the time if go bush for anything

Hi all. Thanks have seen the mcmurdo not sure which yet but I think I only need it for emergency use only the spot gen seems a little complicated for me and I don't want to pay another monthly subscription

I'm told there is a version of the single use one that the company will send you another free if you use it!! cheers

To be honest if u have to use it and it saves ur life i doubt u'll be worried about buying another 1! Small price to pay to save ur life.

2 hill walkers died near me recently after being out overnight and while quite a high area loads of farm hill and quad tracks about and quite a lot of houses nearby for a remote area. Would have been rescued in minutes rather than over night, same with the keeper that survied up cairngorns, would off saved mountin rescue a hell of a time

Been a while since i looked into 1 for myself but think the mc murdos last about 8yrs then u have to get it serviced/battery changed

If it is purely for SOS emergency situations the PLB is far superior (stronger signal, both satelite GPS and radio homing signal) and gives you the best chance of being found. If you want it mainly to reassure family that you're fine or running late where there's no phone signal, then InReach paired with a smart phone is the way to go and in an emergency you would be able contact emergency services. Good review here:

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Personal-Locator-Beacon-Reviews

Edited by tcar