Makita Dolmar 9010 worth buying?

ADC

Hi Guys

I have a huge Oak tree to buck, it was felled last year and is getting harder as we speak. It is 7 ft diameter at the base, and lying flat in a field.

I have a couple of small Makitas, and a Stihl 390 with a 20" bar.

I am thinking of getting a new Makita 9010 and understand that it is the same as the Dolmar, but just a different colour.

I want a saw that will do the job and last, and I understand that the Dolmar Makita is an old proven but heavy design.

When bucking, the weight of the saw will not be a concern, but I am worried about starting a 90 cc monster with no decompression valve. Have any users had experience with the saw, and is it easy to start?

As regards bars, again I understand that the studs can be changed to fit longer bars, but would this invalidate the Makita 3 year warranty?

It would come with a 30" bar as standard, but that would not go through the 7" diameter trunk, so I would have to cut the trunk into smaller pieces.

Is it worth buying the Makita, and should I stick with the standard bar, or go for a modified one that would take longer bars, or should I persevere with my 20" Still and just spend the money on lots of shiny chains?

One last question, are the Oregon M chains worth using in hard oak?

Many thanks

It's easy to start (I have the blue version), though get the Dolmar version through Shavey here on Arbtalk as it can come with a nice shiney Sugihara bar which has a roller nose on it and consequently doesn't suck power.

Hi Guys

I have a huge Oak tree to buck, it was felled last year and is getting harder as we speak. It is 7 ft diameter at the base, and lying flat in a field.

I have a couple of small Makitas, and a Stihl 390 with a 20" bar.

I am thinking of getting a new Makita 9010 and understand that it is the same as the Dolmar, but just a different colour.

I want a saw that will do the job and last, and I understand that the Dolmar Makita is an old proven but heavy design.

When bucking, the weight of the saw will not be a concern, but I am worried about starting a 90 cc monster with no decompression valve. Have any users had experience with the saw, and is it easy to start?

As regards bars, again I understand that the studs can be changed to fit longer bars, but would this invalidate the Makita 3 year warranty?

It would come with a 30" bar as standard, but that would not go through the 7" diameter trunk, so I would have to cut the trunk into smaller pieces.

Is it worth buying the Makita, and should I stick with the standard bar, or go for a modified one that would take longer bars, or should I persevere with my 20" Still and just spend the money on lots of shiny chains?

One last question, are the Oregon M chains worth using in hard oak?

Many thanks

These saws where built to take either mount

D033 mount for EU

D009 mount for Rest of the world

As for bigger bars Sugihara , GB are the better value I dont think you can get any oregon power match in the EU over 36"

But you will be adding approx £180-£190 +vat on top of the current price of the saw

A sugihara pro 42" bar with full skip square ground chain would suit your job

You require the saw and long bar for

If you go on the dolmar thread it will show the option of the 9010

Cheers

I'm doing the exact same thing. Only I have a 281, thankfully. I also have a battery powered oregon chain sharpener, which I would suggest unless you have semi chisel chain...