The time has finally come

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reduced a decent size oak tree today. Still not convinced

Haha! Took me a long time too. But now there is no way I would even consider going back and in fact will use SRWP even in small simple trees. Once up to speed, it is very fast and easy.

I had to remove a dead branch from a very tall Pine today. It was the lowest branch and at about 80ft up.

BigShot in & base anchor.

Walk up the rope.

Cut the branch and get down.

In and out in 45 minutes without breaking a sweat.

£190+vat.

Try doing that with a Prussik and ladder, without spikes!

I had to remove a dead branch from a very tall Pine today. It was the lowest branch and at about 80ft up.

BigShot in & base anchor.

Walk up the rope.

Cut the branch and get down.

In and out in 45 minutes without breaking a sweat.

£190+vat.

Try doing that with a Prussik and ladder, without spikes!

45 minutes? Did you stop for a tea break or something? :biggrin:

Are there any points about it you like?

I used it to remove a couple of defective tops from an oak today. Made a right hash up of it. Would have been quicker ddrt!

Good question.

I like that I can twist and turn any way I want without worrying about my ropes crossing.

Thats about it at the moment really.

Good question.

I like that I can twist and turn any way I want without worrying about my ropes crossing.

Thats about it at the moment really.

Weird.

There's loads that I like. Being able to drop down into a gap without worrying about pulling myself back up, ease of ascents, redirects when the situation is right, not constantly having to route my rope to avoid friction.

I don't like having to clip in for small ascents, or having to faff about with retrievable top ties or base anchors though.

Weird.

There's loads that I like. Being able to drop down into a gap without worrying about pulling myself back up, ease of ascents, redirects when the situation is right, not constantly having to route my rope to avoid friction.

I don't like having to clip in for small ascents, or having to faff about with retrievable top ties or base anchors though.

I don't really find pulling myself up a big deal to be honest. and as for rope friction, I don't generally find this a problem. I plan my routes to avoid this.

I'm not a massive fan of the redirects as yet, not sure if its a phsycological thing or not. Yesterday I was anchored in high on an Oak tree. The tree itself was a bit iffy, and although the anchor point was plenty thick(about 5"), it was regrowth and below the old pruning point was the typical callous you would expect to see. I dropped on to a branch at about a 60 degree angle from my anchor, tied on a redirect ready to work a couple of branchs after break, and then dropped down from that point for my break.

I ascended back up after break and just didn't feel confident in anything. the way the redirect was pulling at my anchor point etc. If I had any doubt that it wouldn't hold me I wouldn't have done it, but it still just didn't feel nice. The bounce in my rope probably made it feel worse, perhaps I should change ropes.