Bat survey work

Harps

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If bats are thought to be found within a dead tree that is potentially dangerous, which takes priority? The bats or the removal of the tree!

Many thanks

Quite a few years ago done some climbing/felling on a big job, helping an old boss out with odd days, he was subbing to a big national company lots of over the top meaningless H&S (yet they had no idea about chainsaws and some of the worst safe working practices ever invloving saws)

Long story short had to climb some potential 'bat trees' identified by a bat worker who was waiting on doing his climbing ticket and stuff stuff in cracks/holes etc where bats could potentially roost incase trees needed to come down at a future date, but where hoping they wouldnae need to come down.

Was a couple of big severly rotten trees (obviously prime bat habitat) and they wanted the trees sectioned rather than straight feeled to protect any bats that may or may not be inside.

I refused to do it, above my experience level and didnae have the equipment to do it safely, or at least for me to do it safely.

Lowering stuff of an already rotten stem which is also supporting u, possibly could be done by a better/more experienced climber/crew but i wasnae going to attempt it.

Not actually sure wot they eventually done, wether a straight fell (that i reccommended) or got a better climber/crew in? I suspect the first as be a lot cheaper

Often the best practice is to attempt to lower 'batty' type trees to try and minimise any risk, which is fair enough but usually the fact their 'batty' means they are rotten, big cracks or hollow ie generally structurally weak/unsound althou not always the case

I was thinking about bat habitat recently, I realise things have to be regulated because of selfish do as you like regardless folk that are out there.

I thought it would be a good thing to make bat friendly construction on your home like people do with bird boxes on the wall etc.

You could Incooperate ledges under facia boards and gable ends.

Then I realised it's a no brainer because if you want to change facia boards or build an extension, it will be a big no no due to your kind hospitality.

Am I right ?

I do like to see bats and other wildlife and would encourage them but such thoughts would put me off.

Not neccessarily a No, althou quite possible. U will need a bat survey (which may be the norm now anyway for building/roofing works) i was quoted 1200-1600 for survey + if bats u need a licence more cash and to get licence u will probably have to do some mitiagtion/damage limitation depending on bat numbers/type of roost etc.

Even striping slates of a roof if u find more than 3 bats whole job has to stop until u can get a licensed bat worker to handle them, althou more likely need a licence etc so could take some time

The wildlfife trust i'm involved with built a quality centre/hide on the reserve and put bat access into loft against my advice, now got bats living there. But if they ever need any work done to roof will need a bat survey and as present a licence and god knows wot else

I'm about to start a renovation for myself, thankfully/amazingly no bats present as it had been left for last 20 years empty had plenty of access for bats and u always see them in general area.

Going to turn surrounding woodland into a small nature reserve but going to purposely manage it to attempt not to encourage bats, should be in favour of them as like seeing them and they eat midges but far too much legisalation involved and too many people making a lot of money of it.

Even made some bat boxes but will not be putting them up

If u make timber bat boxes as u use untreated wood when box rots/falls off tree, tree is no longer protected as no bats there now so if u want to do something make sure its quite temp so u have options in future.

Completely wrong but thats the way the legislation is, u'd have to be mad to encourage them.