What do people pay?

ChrisPlumpton

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the industry is a joke really. was paid 100 a day 5 years ago as a groundie, lot more than that now, lots of qualifications and on less than that now. Got a fisa saw update that i cant possibly survive without this year..cost, saw all worn out....cost, oh same for trousers, boots. No accident insurance will ever pay out however much you pay them so if anything happens your on your own. Fuel and oil costs crippling etc.

Its not a job thats profitable unless you charge a hell of a lot or just a way of life.

Wages are higher in most other countries. Cutting big timber in canada and america is massively paid.

That's about £30k a year.

Not many trades offer 'fully qualified' status after a 10 week course.

How many other trades log onto a website like this?

Can you imagine plumbers posting vids of 'Today's best tap washer fix'?

It's a unique job.

It's just unfortunate the money is crap.

Good point. Wish I'd thought of it...

People get really excited about tree work and I've no idea why.

Do you not want to get in to tree work when you started out? People get excited about it because they like the idea of climbing around in trees with chainsaws... I guess

Of course, I really like my job. If I didn't then I'd be changing.

However I don't think i'm somehow special or important because I have a rope and a few chainsaws..............paraphrasing slightly but I've read people saying

"We should get more than a gardener" Rubbish. who is the gardener? Where did he/she study? Who are the clients? A good gardener commands a lot of money.

"shelf stackers earn £xx per hour why do I earn <£xx" Well that's simple, its because you aren't as useful as you think you are. If you were, you would earn more.

It does grate on me, don't know why, it shouldn't. Must just be the deluded sense of entitlement some people get from doing a 3 day chainsaw course.

However I don't think i'm somehow special or important because I have a rope and a few chainsaws..............paraphrasing slightly but I've read people saying

"We should get more than a gardener" Rubbish. who is the gardener? Where did he/she study? Who are the clients? A good gardener commands a lot of money.

"shelf stackers earn £xx per hour why do I earn <£xx" Well that's simple, its because you aren't as useful as you think you are. If you were, you would earn more.

It does grate on me, don't know why, it shouldn't. Must just be the deluded sense of entitlement some people get from doing a 3 day chainsaw course.

You're probably just not as good as us, we are great and worth far more than any lowly gardener!!!:001_tt2::biggrin:

Well said......:thumbup1:

It's a very good point....

You're probably just not as good as us, we are great and worth far more than any lowly gardener!!!:001_tt2::biggrin:

But I have to agree.....

I know it's plumbers v electricians but, this always cracks me up!

There must be a decent computer geek that can make a tree ape v gardener version???

On reflection, probably not since why would a half decent computer geek be reading a forum for hairy tree swingers when he could earn 5x as much sitting in an aircon office with views over the river, surrounded by perfume and lipstick, having lunch in a Michelin star restaurant before driving home in a flash car?