Gearing down a PTO shaft

gdh

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Almost certainly the hp requirement is at a certain rpm. 430 in this case.

I'm with this. On an MF 135 many years ago two of us wrestled at the end of a winch cable to steer a tree under cutter lifting plough by hand. I kept asking the boss to just try the lower range. He pig headed refused so we kept wildly dashing through trees wrecking many in the process. Me being a teenager what did I know about tractors was the attitude!

Then one day we had a serene glide up the row. It was the difference between a cruise up the Nile and white water rafting.

Definitely try the lower range, if it works use it for the tougher pieces.

The boss noticed that on the rev counter the pto speed was only shown in the low range section.

Does it need to be movable/a tractor? I'm sure an agri - engineer could knock up a 'donkey-engine' with a PTO on it. I might be dreaming it up but I'm sure I saw a transit van chopped in half and the drive shift welded to a standard shaft powering a processor. I imagine engine running at 1500-2000 rpm, first gear of 3.5:1 odd and you'd be away. HP to spare....

Careful with this one folks, the drive shaft would be going the wrong way round and reverse probably too low geared.

How do I know?:blushing::blushing::blushing:

• 3 months later...

If you want 540 actual speed you need to run the rpm clock at the line/mark where the speed is, probably about 3/4 top engine speed.

If you want to save fuel run 540 in the 1000 range you can do the maths or a simpler way that we did with a mog without a working clock was.

Fit the pto machine to a tractor with a working clock. Run at set speed on that tractors clock.

Mark one of the elevators paddles with string, do this before you start obviously.Run it for a minute not doing actual work and count the rotations.

Then put it on your machine and run it, adjusting until you get the same speed. Tip divide the rotations so you know how long one full rotation is, say 5 seconds, when you think your right. Run for a minute to verify.

Alternatively watch a YouTube manufactures video. Count the paddles on the model or the time it takes to go from A-B for one paddle, this will be rough but the maker shouldn't be overspending!