A bizarre frame of mind

jtw2140

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It gets easier and things that would have phased you in your early days begin to seem less daunting. You will still get that fear but if you're stubborn and determined you can push on past that.

Someone mentioned lack of sleep - if I'm tired I definately don't feel as comfortable in the tree. I also sing bad pop tunes or talk to myself much like other people.

I would suggest rather than taking a backseat and letting other people climb, you set yourself some goals and say "I'm going to climb 3 times this week", pick some set days and then when you turn up at work you know that whatever tree you get to, you have to do it, not someone else. Tell the other lads at work so they can be onboard with you.

Take your time and don't worry how long things take. Don't let anyone rush you or feel under pressure. If the job doesn't get finished, it's not always the climbers fault.

Heres some advice I was given years ago which really helped me out. Its down to frame of mind as your title so aptly puts it. Next time you nip up a little fruit tree to prune it, you know the type, 10ft off the ground with an open crown that you comfortably step from branch to branch, no harness, and not a care in the world. You need to capture that frame of mind you are in and then apply it equally when you are 70ft up a tree.

The irony is that you are probably likely to have an incident 3ft off the floor.

I don't know how it works for those up a tree all day, but I find myself able to do things in such a situation better due to heightened awareness and increased stamina. I assume it's like an adrenalin stimulus.

Up a conifer I can hold a heavy branch and flick it around anywhere.

On the ground, I'm more likely to trip up or be flicked around by the branch!!!

Just another quick point to add to this thread.

I found it easier to push myself when i was in a situation where i had to climb. i.e. working for someone else where there were no other climbers, i would be the only one who could get the job done so it was on my shoulders as it were. I think you know if a tree is really unsafe and if thats the case you just say no.

Like you i dont climb all the time and i when thought the exact same fear until the day i made a mistake after mistake. I walk out on branch which was dead and it broke fell a few feet i was onerous but push on the second mistake was cutting my lanyard and i when for swing. in my defense i was inexperience and tired but after that the fear died a little still get the odd bit when i am up larger trees

One thing id like to add,although all the people who have replied have been bang on is i was talking to an ex climber,an older gent who gave it up and he said he was always scared in the tree but a good nights sleep,good food and plenty hydration always made him more confident in the tree.

Just something else to concider.

I hope your doing better mate

All the best

Your body is your main tool for the job, so you should treat it accordingly! I also try to treat bigger stuff much more like a marathon, always trying to conserve energy and work smart - never in a rush. Firstly because a mistake could easily be life threatening up in a big tree (falling from serious height/the extra time it would take for an aerial rescue/generally dealing with much heavier weights, etc)

I definitely have to be feeling wide awake, well rested and physically good, else my confidence takes a knock.

Also, if any of your superiors give you a hard time while you're climbing, work somewhere else. I've found this to be completely detrimental to my confidence in the past.. Life is too short!

Lastly and most importantly, try and forget all the macho bollocks related to how you think you should be climbing, and focus on getting the job done safely! A level of criticism is always good as long as it's constructive and not 'I should be swinging about like a gibbon with on speed, what's wrong with me?!'

That's my two cents worth :)

Another point to make. Once that main anchor is in and you have got used the fact it is going to hold you may find you speed up as the day goes on.

I think most people get a bit nervous when setting up that first anchor point, especially when you need to try and get it as high as possible to make work easier.

Your body is your main tool for the job, so you should treat it accordingly! I also try to treat bigger stuff much more like a marathon, always trying to conserve energy and work smart - never in a rush. Firstly because a mistake could easily be life threatening up in a big tree (falling from serious height/the extra time it would take for an aerial rescue/generally dealing with much heavier weights, etc)

I definitely have to be feeling wide awake, well rested and physically good, else my confidence takes a knock.

Also, if any of your superiors give you a hard time while you're climbing, work somewhere else. I've found this to be completely detrimental to my confidence in the past.. Life is too short!

Lastly and most importantly, try and forget all the macho bollocks related to how you think you should be climbing, and focus on getting the job done safely! A level of criticism is always good as long as it's constructive and not 'I should be swinging about like a gibbon with on speed, what's wrong with me?!'

That's my two cents worth :)

Brilliant point. Why does everyone care what everyone thinks it is messing with a lot of people's heads!

Image, image all the time.

I'm so uncool no one knows which pigeon hole to put me in.

It would be fun to be a gibbon on speed but we are human.