New roller mower needed

tim361

I'm after new roller mower. Went and got the bits priced up to get the hayter 56 I use back to full working order and price came in at £300. I'm thinking that I'll look into buying a new one rather than sink £300 into the old one. My various local dealers do Hayters, lawnflight (Honda), and Weibang. Other dealers a little further away stock most other makes. All seem to be around £1050ish. Has anyone got any opinions good or bad on the new mowers available. It's normally out 4-5 days a week all day so needs to be robust.

Cheers all

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive recently changed to the lawnflite pro high speed 21 "what a cracking bit of kit, picks up really well in the wet,bit skippy in the wet with the smooth roller tho, 5.5 honda engine gives loads of grunt and i tweaked mine a bit and now im nearly running behind it, heavy mower so you will need a ramp into van/pick up, nice control and it gives a lovely finish.

ive used pretty much every roller mower out there and this is the best by far

mike

Ive recently changed to the lawnflite pro high speed 21 "what a cracking bit of kit, picks up really well in the wet,bit skippy in the wet with the smooth roller tho, 5.5 honda engine gives loads of grunt and i tweaked mine a bit and now im nearly running behind it, heavy mower so you will need a ramp into van/pick up, nice control and it gives a lovely finish.

ive used pretty much every roller mower out there and this is the best by far

mike

Yes, top advice. :thumbup: The lawnflite is the same as a sarp, danarm, kaaz, etc. my only advice would be don't buy a modern hayter 48 or 56. :thumbdown:

Yes, top advice. :thumbup: The lawnflite is the same as a sarp, danarm, kaaz, etc. my only advice would be don't buy a modern hayter 48 or 56. :thumbdown:

The Hayter 48 pro silver colour is a belting mower , it has a one piece roller rather then the 56 with the split roller so more reliable.I ran a dozen Hayters over the years and the 48 pro is very user friendly but does suit lawns cut weekly .

Also Consider the Vikings with Rear Roller , very light and easy to repair plus parts are cheap too.

Ste

Edited by IVECOKID

The Kaaz mowers (inc lawnflite pro, cobra,sarp etc, as the are all built by Kaaz) are in my opinion the best quality mower available on the UK market, but as has been said, they are heavy and come in well over the £1000 so don't suit all.

However, for those wanting to save a couple of hundred there is now a new kid on the block. Mountfield have now introduced a serious roller mower for the first time in the last 15 years. Utilising their new 'twinclip' chassis this mower has a heavy duty galvanised steel deck giving excellent resistance to impact damage, but as steel decks are always weak around the stress points of axle and handlebar mounting these mowers have tough aluminium inserts front and back carrying the axles and the handlebars. The handlebars are easily foldable and the pivots are about the toughest I have ever seen, without the flex that many have.

Roller mowers are notorious for transmission failure so to combat this Mountfield have fitted an extremely tough cone clutch box coupled with a two pulley variator, so no idlers to sieze. This drives a large diameter fluted steel roller so traction will not be a problem.

Power is supplied by a 190cc Honda GCV190 motor

The 'twinclip' blade has 4 cutting edges so each blade of grass is cut twice, which means shorter bits being blown into the box, resulting in a better fill.

I saw, and used this mower at a dealer conference last week and was very impressed. Its not at present aimed at the Pro market (although carrying a 5yr domestic warranty and a 90 day commercial warranty) but the general feeling is that at the selling price of around £850 this mower, the SP555R V is going to take some beating. I will certainly be including it in my range and adding it to the website.

It will be worth a visit to your local Stiga Mountfield dealer.

sp555r_v_-_italy_-_website.jpg.6a00c5d078569c7364f235896d4129af.jpg

Why do you use a roller mower?..

Heavy lumps that they are, better off using a normal mower, lighter and no need to faff about with stripes...

If any of my customers wants stripes I tell em to buy some paint and paint em on the grass..

Heavy lumps that they are, better off using a normal mower, lighter and no need to faff about with stripes...

If any of my customers wants stripes I tell em to buy some paint and paint em on the grass..

Because repetitive mowing with a 4 wheeler on moist soil will leave ruts eventually which ever way you cut .

Ste

Really? Do you just post crap everywhere trying to ruffle people up? why does anyone do anything for aesthetics? Want that wall blue? just wear blue tinted glasses everytime you look at it.