Tiny echo!

Maxnaggle

More teeth. That's all. I'm on the 0.43 3/8 Stihl bar and chain. I like that combo because I can sharpen it with the regular 4mm file. With less teeth I'm also able to use a longer bar without exhausting the clutch.

Wolter

Have you tried the 1/4 .043 chain Wolter? Yes you need a smaller file but the cut is very fast and clean.

It is more fiddly to sharpen though.

And how does it control in the cut with the 3/8? It must be a lot easier to sharpen..

Im sure I've seen 1/4 inch pitch chains on the husky pole pruner, would they be 0.5 gauge then Rob?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Arbtalk mobile app

Yep 1/4 .050 I would imagine - and the 1/4 .050 is a completely different beast to the 1/4 .043.

Stihl have nailed it with this chain IMO and have to take credit for it.

I might price up the 1/4 Stihl cutting gear and see how it compares to the Husqvarna 3/8 0.43. Would love to hear from anyone who has used both. Not having to change drive sprocket would be nice I guess, but in the long run I want what's best for this saw as it'll get a lot of use.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Arbtalk mobile app

Have you tried the 1/4 .043 chain Wolter? Yes you need a smaller file but the cut is very fast and clean.

No I haven't Rob. My mate has the ms 150 with the 1/4 inch chain. That chain really rocks. But I like my saws to have at least a 30cm bar and still not clog up.

Wolter

I love this 1/4 .43 setup. It is fiddly to sharpen but it only takes about 3 mins to do the whole 10 inch chain. It in my opinion is very safe to use and gives really clean cuts.

• 3 weeks later...