How to mill Video

Blaisey

I havent done much chainsaw milling, just a few bits when i have been carving on-site for benches or something (like this:

https://www.facebook.com/DervishCarving/photos/?tab=album&album_id=938443436269017

At first i found the whole process a little scary.... felt very close to the chain. But after i got used to it i relaxed and enjoyed it. We didnt use a winch though and i think it would help. I found i got pretty tired. Starting the cut was fine but as i got further and further along the log (7 or 8 foot long) it got more and more awkward to maintain even pressure on the saw/frame. Pushing from the side seemed to rotate the saw too much. My question is though, whats the best way to finish the cut? The final few inches i found the saw/frame would start to droop a bit. Any hints?

You have to support the mill as it comes off - that said I am working with Granberg on a kit that goes on the back of the mill to make this easier as well as easier to introduce the mill into the log :001_smile:

My question is though, whats the best way to finish the cut? The final few inches i found the saw/frame would start to droop a bit. Any hints?

I use a mongrel Logosol/Granberg mill but the same problem exists. In time I just got used to it and learned to support the mill by hand as it gets to the end of the cut, when the front rail becomes unsupported by the log. It's just a matter of taking your time and not being afraid of the chain a few inches from your left hand. As soon as the chain has finished the cut (but the back rail is still supported by the log) I flick the brake on, pull the bar clear and lift the mill onto the ground.

I've seen a modification of the frame of the mill that some guys do. They screw a plate onto bottom of the rails of the frame that seems to be a reasonable fix.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys I have always had this problem espicially when milling big wide stuff on my own I find I just cant hold the mill flat when the first rail leaves the cut I have tried holding the rear rail down but I am only a small bloke so a kit to help is totalygood news Rob any idea when it will be ready

Cheers Mark

• 1 month later...