Anyone tried a panel van for delivering logs?

Woodworks

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I deliver using a Toyota Hiace. With the narrow lanes around here I would struggle with anything bigger or a trailer. I use barrow bags which means that I can stow the logs exactly where the householder wants them. The only drawback with the van is that it is rear wheel drive, on the other hand the fuel cost is 12p per mile, so I use the Land Rover went road conditions are poor. The 4x4 Sprinter referenced would be fine for those few days of the year, but much more costly for the rest of the miles. Good luck.

I deliver using a Toyota Hiace. With the narrow lanes around here I would struggle with anything bigger or a trailer. I use barrow bags which means that I can stow the logs exactly where the householder wants them. The only drawback with the van is that it is rear wheel drive, on the other hand the fuel cost is 12p per mile, so I use the Land Rover went road conditions are poor. The 4x4 Sprinter referenced would be fine for those few days of the year, but much more costly for the rest of the miles. Good luck.

You get 50MPG out of Hiace?

My Hilux manages 25mpg doing logs which works out at 22p per mile on just fuel. Keep getting asked to do deliveries 15 mile away but just cant justify it.

Can you not charge £5-10 for going beyond say a 10 mile radius?

But then there is the time and other costs of running a truck. I get lot's of requests to deliver to Plymouth but it's 45 mins away with usual traffic. Tempted at times but not sure it really makes sense.

You get 50MPG out of Hiace?

My Hilux manages 25mpg doing logs which works out at 22p per mile on just fuel. Keep getting asked to do deliveries 15 mile away but just cant justify it.

I get 19mpg with the sprinter and 13 if I put it in 4x4 but I deliver up to 150 miles when I checked the times and fuel costs 1 long distance delivery with max load was no more expensive and not much longer than several local deliveries.

I deliver all my logs on one of my vans, either a transit custom or Citroen Relay. I only supply nets and can get a good load each time. Around 100 nets a trip. I only sell Kiln dried so i think its important that the logs arrive dry.

I saw one of my competitors yesterday with 4 dumpy bags on a bag of a dropside in the pouring rain, not covered getting wet. Although it won't effect the logs that much it doesn't make a good impression in my opinion.