Kania squirrel trap

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I caught one grey squirrel in my Kania trap! I was baited unset for a few weeks and then I caught one fairly quickly after setting it but nothing for months after that.

I've had far more success with these traps (wooden box and the BMI 116 trap): Fourteenacre | Fineren Bodygrip Box for Squirrels

The trap is enclosed in a box with an offset entrance which prevents bycatch. Baited with hazelnuts and peanuts and with a few minutes practice very easy to set (after a bit of practice) and not as expensive as a Kania. Also the dead squirrel is hidden from view (from people as well as other squirrels). You could try an enclosed tunnel in your Kania to see if it helps?

I don't (didn't) have that many squirrels and with just two of the 116s and boxes I went through a whole family in a few weeks (large female, large male, then smaller ones etc). One day the trap caught another less than an hour after I cleared out a previous one.

Location also seems to be important, set on a pole or tree that's over looked by a larger tree as the critters like to case out something new. I also baited an area with a home made nut feeder for a couple of weeks as well to get them used to being fed.

Oh dear; now I wish that I had posted this question on Arbtalk before I spent £93 on a Kania trap. I must say, I'm not at all impressed with the Kania trap. I find it impossible to strap to a tree, so I have strapped a post to the tree and the trap to the post.

Paul: thanks for the info about the Fineren trap. I shall definitely get one of those. "My" squirrels have been raiding the bird feeders for months now and I have finally decided to do something about them.

Mice always get the peanut butter before the squirrels and I've never caught a thing. We have a boundary with a 15 acre wood so there are plenty about. However I shoot about 20 a year On the other hand my dad has one in town garden and gets about 30 a year! Don't bring back warfarin though, it was found in many birds of prey and mammals further up the food chain. Bring on the pine martins!

Best way to catch squirrels is fenn mk4 traps in a plywood box, make the box just wide enough to fit the trap when set and just tall enough to hold the trap when sprung, about 16 or 18 inches long, use an aerosol can about wd40 size to draw round for the right size hole at each end and cut out, weather the traps before use to get rid of the smell of oil etc, don't bait just place at bottom of trees, on hedge lines etc, squirrels are naturally curious and go in anyway, my best catch was 180 out of a mature oak woodland in six months.

Best way to catch squirrels is fenn mk4 traps in a plywood box, make the box just wide enough to fit the trap when set and just tall enough to hold the trap when sprung, about 16 or 18 inches long, use an aerosol can about wd40 size to draw round for the right size hole at each end and cut out, weather the traps before use to get rid of the smell of oil etc, don't bait just place at bottom of trees, on hedge lines etc, squirrels are naturally curious and go in anyway, my best catch was 180 out of a mature oak woodland in six months.

Have you got a picture and what size wd40 I want to make one!