Advice on a accident

Pbtaylor2014

You're talking about a legitimate claim, he's talking about all the fraudsters...

I had the same I ran into the back of a car once (sub 5mph slow moving traffic), no damage at all although I accept it was my fault. She claimed £5000 for whiplash injuries. I contacted the insurance to discuss it and all they said was that she had a doctor's note and there was nothing they could do.

That isn't what Vespasian said though.

He said: the claimant should pay, win or loose.

Can you tell me how that would work?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure his rationale was just around trying to discourage the fraud that is quite clearly rife.

I'm also sure we all know it wouldn't work and that he's probably not given it that much legal thought :001_smile:

Yep, win or lose the claimant pays all costs for whiplash...

Such is the level of fraud I think its the only way to put an end to the business...

I'd go further, any lawyer taking on a case has to put up his house as collateral..

or taking it to the next level, any solicitor gets six weeks in jail for taking on a case....

In a word, if you get injured, suck on it, thats life, don't expect me to subsidize your injury through my insurance payments....

there are far to many ambulance chasing law firms in the uk, they look to make money out of anything, trip over a kerb....make a claim, bump into a pole....make a claim, etc, its time a lot of the senile old idiots in charge of the legal system were booted out and these shysters were held accountable, start hiing a few of them personasklly for costs, locking them up for contempt, then maybe we might get back to a system that worked honestly, like it was supossed to, to cover the cost of a non blame accident, because it was an ACCIDENT, these things happen

I read that in the UK whiplash makes up 80% of motoring related personal injury claims. In France it is just 3%.

Clearly there are people who do this kind of injury Fraud... and lots of them live here.

Part of the problem is the plethora of companies that phone up out of the blue despite telephone preference service, months even years after an accident however minor and try and persuade you that you lost some sleep one night and it must be attributable to some whiplash when that old lady openned her door too far in a parcark and dented your car, even though you werent in it at the time. The loss of sleep couldn't possibly be because of having young children, weather beating against the window, work/money/family concerns...

They should not be able to get the claims info in the first place... Makes you think that the insurance companies are feeding them, to make claims, to make policies more expensive. That kind of underhandedness is too far fetched isnt it?

I was hounded for years by these urchins after making a claim that another car came round a bend, skidded on the verge and piled into the side of my _stationary_ van, bounced off and mangled my boat trailer (it was following me). I was parked up on the other verge because I had my eyes open and saw the lad coming... Sigh. How I could get whiplash in a large stationary vehicle from a small vehicle making a glancing impact along the side and bouncing off... beats me, but they all wanted me to claim!

That was nearly as annoying as the other parties insurance claiming that I was 50% to blame - not sure how a static object can be to blame for the impact - too much gravitational pull? They relented the day before the court case - of course the real reason was that we both had the same underwriter and they wanted to claw back two excesses and my no-claims bonus... evil I tell you.

Edited by phedders