old shingu saw

stihl fan

A friend gave me this saw, I have no idea how old it is , it was difficult to get going but a little cleaning here and there and it running quite well now.

There was something rattling around in the fuel thank which turned out to be a white cup and a ball bearing ,what is this for, where its supposed to fit in the tank?

The other issue is the oiler, when i ran it without the clutch cover the oil pulsed out of the oil channel and created a puddle quite quickly. I adjusted the screw and re installed the bar . It ran and cut well, there seems to be oil on the chain and the chain can be moved easily and smoothly by hand. But it doesn't throw the oil off the bar tip like you would normally expect. Is the oil pump the issue or is it the bar? I will post a few pics asap.

thanks

Edited by stihl fan

Is the white thing and ball bearing something to do with the fuel filter and to weight the fuel line to keep it at the bottom of the fuel tank? did you pull the fuel line/filter? The white thing may well be a fuel filter.

Possibly it came off when someone was trying to remove the fuel line and they simply replaced it and left the parts that came off in the tank.

Back again , the saw is leaking oil out the lower right side of the clutch cover.

I have taken the clutch off and inspected the oil pump, dropped it to the local man who said the pump is fine the pipe to the oil grove is good too. I would question the seal between the reverse side of the pump and the oil reservoir but the local lawnmower man assures I won't get spares for this saw. I have cleaned the groves on the bar and the oiler holes.

The chain is getting oil (possibly too much at times), it doesn't always seem to throw oil off the bar tip in the traditional fashion.

I have adjusted the oil screw too ,to the point where am concerned that the chain might not get enough.

It would be a pity if I can't repair it as it cuts really well. I assume it must be 45-50cc. Its my new XP!! :thumbup: Who knows it may even be better as it starts every time on the second pull ,hot or cold!!

Today 1 tank of oil : 3/4 of a tank of fuel.

Thanks for any suggestions

Edited by stihl fan