Is this too much to ask of a baby tractor.

Woodworks

Handbook in hand

Power 55 HP

Weight 1440 KG

Trailer weight must not exceed 4000 Kg

Max permissible loads Front 1000 (2230) Rear 1400 (3084) not a clue about the bracketed numbers.

Sadly it's not fitted with trailer brakes but the trailer is. Maybe it's possible to add some?

You can operate the brakes off of a spool valve just screw a male coupling in place of the brake coupling just remember to put the valve in float to move if there is no spare valve put an isolater switch on both hoses and switch when u wish to break

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You can operate the brakes off of a spool valve just screw a male coupling in place of the brake coupling just remember to put the valve in float to move if there is no spare valve put an isolater switch on both hoses and switch when u wish to break

That's good so it could be done. Thanks

Your rear shafts on the tractor are a good bit more exposed than those on my Landini, but that doesn't make them any less strong.

Your towing rates and load weights in the book are broadly similar to mine. They are really there to prevent an idiot such as myself throwing 6 ton onto the trailer then realising it won't stop when going down a steep hill with a right hand bend at the bottom

Looking at your trailer, I'd say that again it's broadly similar to my Farma one. Weight looks to be well balanced on it with the load being over the axle, so not much worry there about overloading the rear axle on the tractor.

We're into our tenth year using this set up and on flat ground I'd say load it to the neck, as long as your brash roads can handle it.

Cheers,

John

Best to have weight over the front axel as it will pull a lot better with 4 wheels then 2 especially when towing a trailer I had to fill mine up with water made a lot of difference when pulling a full trailer to only being able to pull a half loaded trailer. On the draw bar weight you will probably be only putting about 3/4of a ton on it maybe 1 ton but I don't think it's really much to worry about

I expect the loader adds a bit of weight to the plated weight of the tractor which helps. I think for your application on the flat your tractor does just fine as you say- but really most things can pull a good bit of weight on the flat, throw in an incline and totally different kettle of fish, I would say your tractor is a bit small for pulling a loaded trailer up a muddy incline, and certainly think it will be bossed downhill if you can't activate the trailer brakes.

Also i'd take the weights stated in the manual with a pich of salt, as you know i also have a Same/SDF tractor 86hp and the manual states it can tow up to 24,000kg gross train weight:laugh1:

It's suprising what a compact will do. If it's scratting and cutting corners being held back in the woods with the trailer loaded you know the trailer is the gaffer weight wise.

Looking at what has been shown and discussed here I would go for it and if hills are hard on it just lighten the weight. It will be more trips but kit will fare better.

The way to think of it is if you had an even smaller tractor you would be carrying even less and using a smaller trailer.

If it's viable and work comes in upgrade later.

I think its as bilke mentioned. Fair ground conditions and flattish ground wont be an issue. Slopes and the sticky stuff will be your pitfall.

Going down a leafy/slippery slope with a load up will have you running away and the trailer pushing you.

Its more common sense which I/we know you have, if your having to think twice about the situation then err on caution and find another way around it.

The tractor no doubt will pull it in dry conditions its the stopping which causes more issues and accidents.

Is it four wheel drive? I cannot see a post about that or any sign in the picture.

If it is then some weight on the front would help, if not then as much as possible on the back without hindering the steering ability.

I would not like to venture into damp woodland with 2WD. 4WD would also help controlling the tractor downhill with a load behind.

With that in mind, is that a roll bar I see over the bonnet. Bilke-user gives the scenario of being pushed downhill by a six ton load with a right hand bend. Classic jackknife and overturning situation with six tons of logs completing the job.

The tractor may have a special brake hydraulic coupling linked to the pedals. Best to look for that first before the spool valve option.

What is the make and model?