Rounded bolt!

Gerbutt

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's the irwin ones I tried but they didn't work! The bolt is under the van holding the alternator on so access is a little poor. I think I'll try hammering something on but there no room to swing. I think if the worst comes to the worst I'll have to grind the head off so the alternator comes off, and then maybe drill the stud out and use a longer bolt and nut in its place? Maybe the alternator will be ok with two bolts holding it on?

Could you not pot the socket on an extension bar and clout that?

Ive never had much joy with any of the nut/screw extractors tbh. I usually do the weld a nut on method as the heat also help but unfortunately you have no welder.

You cant grind down 2 sides to get a smaller open mouth spanner on I take it (with a dremel or grinder or even a file I guess)

Put the 13m socket back on the nut and mig weld the socket to the nut through hole in the back of the socket but keep the square free of weld to put the ratchet back on, you will have to take this to someone who has a mig welder of course.

But please remove the battery leads as the welding might interfere with the vehicle electric system. Good luck.

Yeah I think the next thing I'll buy will be a welder, will always come in handy. I'm going to have a dabble at a smaller socket and a bit of filing. It's imperative it mended for Wednesday so it's going to have to come off one way or another. I just want to change the brushes but can't get at them with it in situ!

A little heat goes a long way, if you can get a gas axe or even a blow torch near it without burning something else then thats the way to go, after that you may be able to get it off with mole grips or a smaller socket. Plumbers merchants sell fiberglass sheeting that you can use to protect the surrounding area from burning, handy stuff. Also look for a 1/2 " socket that has a hexagonal hole rather than a dodecagon, these are less likely to round the head, often plug sockets are like this...