560xp problem

TKO

Quite. (Like a lot of things.) Depends on the price. Anyone any idea of barrel/piston + gasget...?

I have come on here to purge myself of a sin I find totally abhorrent; I did not realise my own stupidity was capable of going this far. Viz, that the air filter splits in half to enable cleaning inside! Thought it was a bit difficult to get clean and in defence is not mentioned in the manual.... Regularly went in the washing machine in a sock though. But then folk are saying that 700 hours total is not bad for a full time 560 anyway so maybe I did better than I thought.................. Others beware!!

Thats HUGE of you to admit the bit about air filter popping in half :001_smile: Respect ! :biggrin:

I JUST DID NOT KNOW! Nobody told me, (!) not in the book - cheeky bastard in the shop said I should have read the manual - and I did not notice the little lug on the side. First Husqy after 25 years chez Stihl so thought it was normal. Realised how normal it wasn't when they told me and I opened it up!!!

I JUST DID NOT KNOW! Nobody told me, (!) not in the book - cheeky bastard in the shop said I should have read the manual - and I did not notice the little lug on the side. First Husqy after 25 years chez Stihl so thought it was normal. Realised how normal it wasn't when they told me and I opened it up!!!

They been like that on the small saws since at least the the first 346 I think . :001_smile:" It dont make no never mind " as one famous cowboy from the High Chapparelle once said !

Quite. (Like a lot of things.) Depends on the price. Anyone any idea of barrel/piston + gasget...?

I have come on here to purge myself of a sin I find totally abhorrent; I did not realise my own stupidity was capable of going this far. Viz, that the air filter splits in half to enable cleaning inside! Thought it was a bit difficult to get clean and in defence is not mentioned in the manual.... Regularly went in the washing machine in a sock though. But then folk are saying that 700 hours total is not bad for a full time 560 anyway so maybe I did better than I thought.................. Others beware!!

700 hours is not bad for a 560 , just over 6 months work if it was used 5 hours a day average , most i have seen struggle to hit 300 without issue if used on the hill full time

This 560xp is a superb machine when it is doing what it says on the tin. It is vastly superior to the various Stihls I've owned. (Notwithstanding it depends what work you are doing etc.) But this lifespan is not good. Seems that my 700 hours is pretty good in comparison to others. But if I was paying @£700 for a saw doing 300 hours I'd be less than happy; I'm not particularly impressed with 700. It had very few issues until it was shagged in fairness (new return spring, various AV's....) A throw away product for a few months? This is not really acceptable is it...? So what, gentlemen, is the solution? Stihl again? Clearly most of us who work have got little choice but to pay the money every 6 months or so. Spend more time on maintenance? Personally, I'll be taking the extra time. My prices will be going up too. They have to with this longevity. Come on Husqy, do better than this!

• Like 1

This 560xp is a superb machine when it is doing what it says on the tin. It is vastly superior to the various Stihls I've owned. (Notwithstanding it depends what work you are doing etc.) But this lifespan is not good. Seems that my 700 hours is pretty good in comparison to others. But if I was paying @£700 for a saw doing 300 hours I'd be less than happy; I'm not particularly impressed with 700. It had very few issues until it was shagged in fairness (new return spring, various AV's....) A throw away product for a few months? This is not really acceptable is it...? So what, gentlemen, is the solution? Stihl again? Clearly most of us who work have got little choice but to pay the money every 6 months or so. Spend more time on maintenance? Personally, I'll be taking the extra time. My prices will be going up too. They have to with this longevity. Come on Husqy, do better than this!

I still own and use my 254 which i used in the wood , saw has done a good shift on the hill and 25 years on and off firewood duty , i have never had the pot off the saw , fitted an oil pump and a clutch thats about it ..

• Like 1

I had a Stihl MS361 did 10 years excellent service. Can't speak for the 254 - never had one. Also had 066's. But the fact of the matter is that the 560xp is so hugely better in all departments apart from this lifespan thing. I cut more, earn more, less effort, safer etc BUT looks like I'll be spending a lot more on capital outlay. Is this really acceptable for what is a PROFESSIONAL saw? In comparison with the past machines, absolutely not. Things go wrong, bits fail and break, which is only ever both inevitable and irritating. So we used to fix them. Now we chuck 'em away........