Stihl 064 or 066????

Stompy

Hey

I'm selling off our two old Stihl 070's and was looking at replacing them with a Stihl 064 to run alongside our 357 and 346 .

I have just been offered a 066, same condition and same price as the 064 I was looking to buy.

I've read that the 066 is a little heavier but has a little more grunt. The 064 may be a little more nimble.... I now don't know which to go for.

Usage wise we dismantle old Oak buildings so saws used to trim big, rock hard, 100 year old plus Oak timbers. The 064 or 066 would be used on level ground in the yard mainly.

So, which would you go for, 064 or 066?

Opinions on both?

Cheers guys

66 mate over the 64.

The 64 is an older model and the anti vibes on it are not the best. They have a fair bit of grunt but not as fast cutting at the top end. The 64 used to get my fingers tingling.

I am sure someone else will go into further detail. Having used both, I would go for the newer model 9 out of 10 times.

Is the 070 on Ebay one of yours?

Having had both, I would go with the 066. There is little in it for weight or performance, but the little comes out slightly in favour of 066 for me on balance. Very good with a 25" bar or thereabouts.

Alec

Yep. Have another in better cosmetic condition that will go on when the other sells.

Both a great saws and do what we need they are just a little heavy for all day use and I really don't like the lads using them.

I read the 066 cut a little faster but had added weight. Is the extra actually noticeable??

I don't really notice the difference tbh. Blue different bar and chains tend to alter a saws weight. For me it is all about balance.

I used to work for a guy who had an old 64. It was a dog. That and the 84 for the larger trees and my hands would be in bits after a long time on the saws.

I don't really notice the difference tbh. Blue different bar and chains tend to alter a saws weight. For me it is all about balance.

I used to work for a guy who had an old 64. It was a dog. That and the 84 for the larger trees and my hands would be in bits after a long time on the saws.

My 064 was my first saw - bought for limbing up and then milling oak butts about 20yrs ago.

I upgraded to the 066 and noticed the improvement in milling speed far more than I noticed the extra weight. Rich has also reminded me that I remember the difference in vibration - although compared with an 070 anything will be an improvement :thumbup:

Alec