Sheffield chainsaw massacre

Steve Bullman

There should be a public enquiry in to how any company can secure the publics money for the next 30 years , some thing worryingly underhand I feel at play.

Underhand:biggrin: it's a government initiative. Saves the country money and makes some big companies very well off. (I assume cos I can't imagine doing it out of the goodness of their hearts)

I caught a part of this hoo-ha today. Interesting, and will we ever hear the real story?

I can understand the frustration of those living in the streets most affected as this is a major landscape change and the way is seems to have been organised looks to be somewhat underhand. According to the media reports I heard.

A perspective that came to mind was the felling, in the early 1970's, of The Grand Avenue near Stowe. (The Path of Life) At the time there was a huge outcry because this was a major landscape change with 300 year old trees being felled.

I took a drive there recently to see how the next generation of trees were doing, after a 20 year break, and was very pleasantly surprised. The beech, oak ,chestnut & lime were doing well and the avenue was looking well.... like an avenue should.

This avenue is ranked in the National Trust's top six so a major British landmark.

On the back of this I would hope that Sheffield CC would or could learn something AND those folk who are so understandably upset can consider the future, some years hence, that they will again have some fine trees in their streets. I'm hoping that a good species mix can be nurtured and grown in a challenging environment. Perhaps this is a little too optimistic?

codlasher

Taken from here: Authoritarianism in Sheffield | The Huffington Post

"Authoritarianism and contempt for experts are on the rise everywhere"

What one would expect in the age of Kali Yuga.

On the topic of this matter, it's an absolute farce. Some individuals must really re-assess their priorities and broaden their understanding of how to successfully manage a streetscape.

Edited by David Humphries
Watch the language pleas

Taken from here: Authoritarianism in Sheffield | The Huffington Post

"Authoritarianism and contempt for experts are on the rise everywhere"

The good Prof presents a very poor representation of the situation by deviating from the important matter at hand to promote personal, and frankly irrelevant, partisan politics.

A very worthy cause damaged by a very poor article.