Sheffield chainsaw massacre

Steve Bullman

Out of interest, how would the road in the picture (the one with the lady in the middle with a dog) be repaired without doing damage to the roots of the trees?

An existing road like that would be lucky to be resurfaced every 20 years. The work involved would involve planing out the top 50mm and replacing with a new surface course. Ie the work wouldn't impact on the trees.

Tree roots really mess up drainage pipes though... The roots search for water and can block sewers :(

A lot of contractors putting ducts in pavements smash up tree roots...

An existing road like that would be lucky to be resurfaced every 20 years. The work involved would involve planing out the top 50mm and replacing with a new surface course. Ie the work wouldn't impact on the trees.

Tree roots really mess up drainage pipes though... The roots search for water and can block sewers :(

A lot of contractors putting ducts in pavements smash up tree roots...

City fibre or whatever contractor is round putting fibre broadband in are causing the removal of more trees in streets than anything else ever will?

If we all said no to fibre 1000s of trees would be saved

Like that's ever going to really happen

We have streets that 3 different device providers are digging up for fibre

We are expecting to have 30% less street trees and ultimately no where left on streets to actually be able to put them.

I know it's slightly off topic but similar

It's human nature Bob.

They'll probably log onto their superfast broadband to send a stiff email to the council about the damage to the trees.

Years ago I used to do surveys to site mobile phone masts.

People would regularly get irate and rattle on about ringing the council to complain, and pull a mobile out of their pocket.

I have looked at a few condemned trees. Many trees that are not at the end of their lives and not unsound are being removed. Some streets have been completely cleared of trees! I am sure that there are several sides to the story but the result is still that too many trees are being removed too quickly. At least phase some of the works...

Do we not have this backwards? Roads and infrastructural services laid and built poorly, with little awareness of the need for trees, and then the trees are blamed for resultant issues. Why is there a need to attain such highway standards, as well? There perhaps needs to be compromise in that regard, else it's certainly a concern that highway standards may become ever more militant?

I really cannot work it out in my head. Well, I can. I'd say more, though am not overly comfortable commenting on this issue as some of you may understand.

I worked on the tree survey that Amey procured in 2012 at the beginning of the PFI contract. What a great city with a lot of mature trees. As I was involved in the data collection, rather than analysis, I can't say a lot about whether the felling is appropriate. There certainly seemed to be alot of fully mature trees across the city, but that's the case in many historic cities in the UK.

A long-term strategy to selectively fell and replant trees isn't necessarily a bad one if well planned. But from what I have read, much of the felling seems to be about preventing damage to paths and roads, rather than because the tree is in poor condition or unsuitable - simply implying that trees are not considered to be a priority highway asset.

I wonder, if Sheffield had had an urban forest evaluation using iTree to demonstrate the financial value of the ecosystem services that the trees provide, would this be happening? Or at least, would it give the communities that oppose the felling more of an evidence base to argue from?

Here we are continually removing many street trees due to pavement lifting and residents complaints about 'dechets' leaves, dust, residues, fruit...

Unless a tree can be found which poses no risk, makes no mess and costs nothing to maintain then we will lose almost every urban 'street' tree within a generation.

Parks are the future of 'urban' trees.

Ty