Sheffield chainsaw massacre

Steve Bullman

Well that will or should spark some discussion.

Can I point out Chris, respectfully, that you work in a position very different from the contracting side of the industry. In that side, you do what you're told by the boss or client. It would be nice to turn away jobs that you didn't agree with, but taking the high ground doesn't pay the mortgage nor feed the kids.

I can't speak for others, but I've topped hundreds of trees, knowing that it's wrong, when I haven't been either in a position to refuse to do it or been in a position to offer alternative specifications. The same with felling decent trees with long SULEs.

You're in the position that you do work you dislike, object to and even hate - but hopefully tomorrow you do something that you see beneficial or of value in some way. If you can't hamster it away, you've three choices; leave the industry, start on your own and pick the jobs you agree with (you'll struggle to make a go of it) or study to try to get in a position where you can get your voice heard.

The problem with the last option, is that then you find too many people at the higher levels of authority don't give a damn about trees anyway. You only need to look at some of the comments about 'replacing' semi-ancient woodland by a recent Environmental Minister and what's going on with this high speed train thing. :banghead:

The problems the arbs have been getting at Sheffield, if anything, are poorly directed. But as usual, the contractor bears the brunt of the public emotion.

Oh don't get me wrong Gary we all do it, though it's never actually something that constitutes an excuse in such a blase manner as the original poster put it in (that is the way I interpreted it and I am happy to be told otherwise). It's also something that is relative to the issue at hand, in terms of the magnitude of the impacts associated with the act.

People at very high points of managerial power aren't always going to be the most technically adept or aware (either because they no longer do what was once more technical, or because they never did it in the first place and always preferred a more generalist approach to management), and therefore trees simply rank below many other factors in their decision-making processes. Culturally-speaking, nature always ranks below economic development. Always has and always will. It's the anthropocentric angle many take to life. We see it with how we farm the land, how we consume products, and how we choose to kill trees to save a pavement from uplifting. Certainly a characteristic of Western culture and it has been for many centuries. I am just as guilty of that as others, so I am not on a high horse.

Generalisations abound in this little post, but I trust people understand where I am coming from.

Edited by Kveldssanger

Glad that you didn't read my comment as a personal attack, it wasn't meant as such.

The bigger picture, as to whether what is being done is right or wrong, is often over-looked when a tree-hugging protestor is being obstructive, abusive or just damn awkward.:biggrin:

Until arboriculturists (not foresters) are actually involved in policy making at government levels, I just think that these situations will continue. It's frustrating that so much is now known about the benefits; financial, social and environmental, of trees and we still suffer unjustifiable losses of mature trees for reasons that can be resolved in other ways.

One resident told The Yorkshire Post that police had used anti-picketing legislation, aimed at trade unions, to stop onlookers disrupting the work.

Read more at: ?Inexcusable?: Three arrested after ?pig-headed? Sheffield Council mounts dawn chainsaw raid on trees - Yorkshire Post

Does the Tree Officer get any say in the matter if councillors have abdicated responsibilty to Amey etc?

Edited by Sylvia

One resident told The Yorkshire Post that police had used anti-picketing legislation, aimed at trade unions, to stop onlookers disrupting the work.

Read more at: ?Inexcusable?: Three arrested after ?pig-headed? Sheffield Council mounts dawn chainsaw raid on trees - Yorkshire Post

Does the Tree Officer get any say in the matter if councillors have abdicated responsibilty to Amey etc?

When did Sheffield become independent from the rest of the UK? From that video it looks like Chapter 8 signing consists of a couple of cones and barrier tape. HSE regs don't apply, it's okay to dismantle trees over the heads of the public.... just carry on regardless. :thumbdown:

Just found this

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/tree_contract_with_amey

FOI request response from Sheffield City Council:

"Existing Council policies apply to Amey's tree maintenance activities, and as such, Amey are under clear instruction that they cannot remove trees for issues such as seasonal leaf, fruit or blossom fall, loss of TV or satellite reception or shade being cast from the tree.

Every tree fell requested by Amey has to be validated by trained arboricultural inspectors from within the Council to verify that the works prescribed are indeed legitimate and essential. Only once permission has been given may Amey proceed with the job."

• 1 year later...