Planting for a Sweet Chestnut coppice - any tips?

Still no shoots from my sweet chestnuts yet, and we've had a few cold.nights recently. How far yours getting on Steve? Maybe stratification is the way forward...

Since 3 weeks ago (when we had 4) there are quite a few more that have sprouted through.... will have a proper count up tomorrow and post back here.

How long have yours been planted? Ours were planted in December fresh from the shops.

cheers, Steve

It does depend in the variables, seed source, temperature etc. I live a mile away from my parents, they have a more exposed garden their rhubarb is dormant pretty much, whereas ours has opened leaves.

But I'm thinking with the mild winter nut type seeds should have root tips emerging by now.

I planted mine in October, immediately after collecting. On looking at the pots, the soil seems a bit dense perhaps, though I did mix sand and compost in. Perhaps I didn't plant them deep enough? Or perhaps I'm just impatient! Cold here at night but warmish when the sun is out, so hopefully they're sprouting down below...

I planted mine in October, immediately after collecting. On looking at the pots, the soil seems a bit dense perhaps, though I did mix sand and compost in. Perhaps I didn't plant them deep enough? Or perhaps I'm just impatient! Cold here at night but warmish when the sun is out, so hopefully they're sprouting down below...

Ours were in a cold frame for at least a month to stop the mice nobbling them, so it could be that gave ours a head start.

We can now see another four that have come through (total of 8 now).... some may have been planted a bit deeper and haven't come through yet.

If I were you I'd just wait longer, and don't make any attempt to disturb them.

cheers, steve

• 2 years later...

We're going to be planting about 300 Sweet Chestnut transplants & whips as a coppice.

What kind of spacing should we be planting them at?

Other top tips also appreciated....

cheers, steve

How are they doing now thinking of planting some trying to decide on what spacings seems alot of difference from 2m to 5m

• 2 months later...
On 10/02/2016 at 19:29, Beardie said:

If you didn't know how many to plant per unit of area, how did you arrive at 300 for your site?

Ben Law's chestnut coppice in West Sussex is very closely spaced, about 2m between stools. After a few year's growth, you can barely squeeze between them.

Have you been there....?