Arthroscopy on knee

Mark Bolam

Good luck Mark . Sorry no experience what so ever. Here are some things which i think are important

For rare or complex conditions, however, it is important to seek out centres with the experience to provide safe, expert care. A surgeon who does 200 operations a year, of whatever kind, will on balance be safer than one who does 20.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/news/8918731/Hospital-guide-private-units-better-than-NHS-for-joint-replacement.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1313869/The-best-surgeons-pick-knee-op.html

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had one 3 years ago to correct a locked knee (bit of cartilage was trapped in joint). In terms of recovering from arthroscopy don't over do it at first. The knee will feel bruised for a while from where they have stuck the tools in. Get yourself in the NHS gym if there is one available. Gym is run by physio's who will give you loads of exercises to strengthen it. You might find your quads depletes a bit so maybe start doing some single leg dips before the op if not too painful. I was back up and walking really quick and did as much as they said I could do little and often. If you have just damaged the cartilage you will be fine. Hopefully they can stitch it as opposed to cutting it out.

Ive just had an ACL replacement with a cartilage repair at the beginning of December on the same knee all from original football tackle. Because of the cartilage repair I can't do any deep lunges/squats/dips but am back on site and can do most stuff. No heavy lifting or climbing yet but am on chipper and dragging brash. Physio is boring but going twice a week to NHS gym and should make a full recovery and be back to sport and climbing

Good luck with it

Yes mate, I have kids at home as well...

This was BC.

Although I also went back to work the day after I fractured a vertabrae.

You should be able to drive fairly soon, get some extra labour in and a climber and carry on, just stay on light duties.

The problem with an arthroscopy is they really can't tell you what their going to do until they get in there, if it's a very simple trim and flush then you'll walk out same day. The first one I had done at 14, they stitched the meniscus back together and I was in a splint and on crutches for 6 months.

its a pretty straight forward day surgery job, couple of days of twinges and pain, and a lot of stiffness, but you should be up and about within a day, lots of physio and youll be fine, just remember no kneeling down, or direct pressure on your kneecap area for about 3 month at least

I've had two, last one I went back to work two days later.

I had one about 7 years ago, which took me 8 weeks to get back to work from.

My memory is awful. Remind me which one of you works in the public sector.

I've just had one mate, 2 weeks ago. Today is the first day I've been able to walk sort of normally! I had 3 days off after the op but it's been a real struggle til now. Should of had 2 weeks off and rested it. I reckon another week and I'll be walking without a limp and cycling. Climbing wise, I reckon 6 weeks, especially on spikes. Good luck buddy