SRT Rope & Compatible Hitch Cord, Help

R Mac

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sirius is no good , you'll burn it out with one quick climb on a rope wrench , honey bros sell Armour prus by the meter it lasts infinitely longer in comparison and you have far less chance of burning it out.

Cheers Matty, Sirius was one I didn't buy as when I asked initially someone mentioned that it wasn't durable. Typical that Homey Brothers now stock Armor Prus, just placed an order with them last week, if I'd noticed I could have added a couple of meters. Having an 'Exotic Postcode' means a £15 shipping charge so I try to get a decent size order together.

I initially bought

Samson Ice Tail

Ocean Poly

Liros

Therma Shield

Bee Line

Preferred the Bee Line but haven't tried any other friction hitches apart from the VT, had a look at the Knut but having problems even getting it tied :confused1:

All those different cordage types will have there different sweet spots for different people , with the 8mm armour prus I do 5 turns and go front over back with the top leg for two cross overs... roughly 50cm from fisherman to fisherman is my preferred length , maybe slightly shorter but prefer long but not so long it constantly hits the wrench ... It self tends very well , can bind a bit on limb walks and you need to push the wrench on too the knot to move if your at a steep angle to your anchor but the longer the tether and longer the hitch the better for me any way it self tends which is why I like it.

The therma shield is good stuff but pricy I did like the ice tail as well but it soaks up conifer sap and binds a lot more easy than the others. ImageUploadedByArbtalk1473627541.690419.jpg.09793951bd75ce7c13f180ae9da7b0ef.jpg

Yeah so many variables, I'm pretty light which makes a difference but sap, wet weather etc all make a difference, on DdRT as well as SRT.

To be fair I haven't use SRT much when actually working as I feel under pressure when subbing to start climbing asap (basically as I'm inexperienced/old LOL) and it takes me a bit longer to set up for SRT.

I think it's just one of those things that you have to find your own set-up although a few pointers are always appreciated otherwise by the time I've figured it out I'll be ready to retire :001_smile:

You mention pushing the wrench onto the knot, I take that to mean when descending you force the wrench down with your hand to touch/release the hitch and control the descent using the wrench like a brake, tilting it up/down rather than with your hand on the hitch itself?

edit my hitch is about 57mm, about the same length as the Stiff Tether.

Edited by R Mac

Not always , only when I have to have to in the extreme, usually when I need slack fast limb walking.... If I was just hanging with all my weight in the harness would not use it that way.

Stick with what feels comfy mate although don't make it too bullet proof it's nice to have it a bit loose for the sportiness and self tending.

Not always , only when I have to have to in the extreme, usually when I need slack fast limb walking.... If I was just hanging with all my weight in the harness would not use it that way.

Stick with what feels comfy mate although don't make it too bullet proof it's nice to have it a bit loose for the sportiness and self tending.

Hi Matty, had the chance to SRT on a job this evening, actually used a Distel, 3 up/1 down on Beeline with the Ropewrench, worked a treat for me. I really like the lack of drag compared to DdRT.

Was in a bit of a rush to break down brash so my 50m Kernmaster is now a 45m :blushing:

Oh well, was going to order some rope for a new lanyard, won't have to bother now :001_rolleyes:

• 1 month later...