SRT Rope & Compatible Hitch Cord, Help

R Mac

Hi Folks, inevitably another question re. SRT kit, can anyone recommend a decent rope for SRT and something that they've found works well with it for the friction hitch.

Remember that I don't have any experience of SRT so pretty much anything will more than likely feel ok to me as I have nothing to compare with.

I'll probably use a VT or Distel as I like the way the tails end up either side of the climbing rope which to me seems to fit nice on a hitch climber pulley.

Of course if you can recommend a rope, friction cord and hitch that would be great, FWIW I'm a lightweight, about 10 1/2 stone if that makes a difference.

Thanks.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cheers Joe, yeah I guess they all work but rather than pin the tail on the donkey myself I might as well go with a combo that someone else is happy with.

I'll look at Tachyon and Armor, I know friction hitches can be a personal thing but apart from the 2 I mentioned anything else I should be looking at trying?

Thanks by the way :thumbup1:

Cheers Joe, yeah I guess they all work but rather than pin the tail on the donkey myself I might as well go with a combo that someone else is happy with.

I'll look at Tachyon and Armor, I know friction hitches can be a personal thing but apart from the 2 I mentioned anything else I should be looking at trying?

Thanks by the way :thumbup1:

I quite like 8mm Sirius too. Cheap and cheerful.

Cougar Blue or orange, very low stretch but great for Srt.

Both tachyon and Kern are pretty bouncy IMO, but that is in comparison to climbing on the cougar ropes. Armour pruss is a good one but I have found recently, on the odd occasion i use a hitch that 70cm Stein sown e2e is excellent.

I reckon it is just a blue version or Armor pruss. It wears the same and works very well with the mentioned ropes in a 3 wrap 2 braid VT.

11163.jpg

Having been on Yale silverstreak for years and years Ive gonna try these out. With the SS I have way too much friction with the RW.... experiment is the way. $40 for all these...

Samson Ice Tail

Donaghys Armor Prus 10mm

Donaghys Armor Prus Poly 8mm

Yale Bee Line 8mm

Teufelberger Ocean Poly 10mm

Teufelberger Reep Schnur 10mm

11163.jpg

Having been on Yale silverstreak for years and years Ive gonna try these out. With the SS I have way too much friction with the RW.... experiment is the way. $40 for all these...

Samson Ice Tail

Donaghys Armor Prus 10mm

Donaghys Armor Prus Poly 8mm

Yale Bee Line 8mm

Teufelberger Ocean Poly 10mm

Teufelberger Reep Schnur 10mm

How much does 8mm AP cost over there Ben?

Ok the ropes are as follows?

Yale Kernmaster, looks like 2 versions of the same rope, Orange Code Blue & Blue Tounge although I've seen them listed as 11mm and 11.7mm respectively?

New England Tachyon - 11.5mm

Donaghys Cougar Blue - 11.7mm

Friction Cord

Stein Copious TAC

Armor-Prus

Teufelberger Sirius

I'd prefer to go for whatever combination I can get from one supplier (due to having an 'Exotic'?? Postcode) which probably rules out Cougar Blue and Armor-Prus unless I can get Armor-prus from Treeworker.

So it looks like

Tachyon and either the Copious eye2eye or a length of Sirius.

Kernmaster Orange Code Blue and Sirius.

It's looking like Tachyon (Green 45m) and the Stein Copious eye 2 eye and probably a length of 8mm Sirius.

One other thing, spliced or not spliced? the Tachyon comes with a Slaice from the supplier I've looked at, if it's better without I'll cut it off.