Inconsistent LOLER inspections.

Floatlikeabutterfly

as loler inspectors They are to inspect as presented eg if Karabiner clogged with sap and sawdust and gate does not return etc Then FAIL same as Ropes and hitches if they looked GLAZED heat damaged this could be dried on sap etc but the Inspector will inspect as presented if you knew there was sap on ropes hitches perhaps a quick wash prior to inspection , and if you had just done a Sappy Tree then clean as soon as after , i Clean my ropes when Sap etc gets on them and give Karabiners quick blow out with airline sometimes weekly but Always Monthly and a little lub to keep things moving nice

I know exactly the purpose that LOLER is there to serve. FTR I don't even use hitch cords, my LOLER inspector is someone I often contract too. Not is called banter. What is the point of using heat resistant cord if the first climb is a sappy tree and the crud gets a bit dirty. It is no less likely to fail now is it.

The point I was loosely alluding to was that there is so much kit and caboodle out there that it must be pretty difficult for the inspectors to keep up.

In the example I made in the post above, I washed the cord and put it back in the bag at the time of next test. It passed no problem. That is when I pointed out it was the same piece that had previously failed.

If nothing else, at least the inspector knows that the cord it very durable. It was a bit of fun nothing more.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i know its only a forum for talking and we are all making opinions IM A LOLER Inspector my self and as part of my Testing i Clean Karabiners airlin and lub for the client and where needed a little wash on smaller items of rope as it seems to me Friction hitches ( all the various types that seems to be sapped up etc ). its all part of the service i still climb 2 or 3 times a week and like to think i keep up with new kit etc been a climber for 30 years Showing my age now 48 and can still give Climbers younger than me a run for their money not always in Speed mainly in endurance and experience and of course end result As they say everyday is a school day we are all learning and no one knows it all

another thing to Note is as you say you presented it FAILED next test you washed and Presented again it PASSED was it same inspector as Every Piece of Kit has its on ID Code Could be numbers or numbers and letters etc its so every item is traceable , as this would have shown up on the last Test as a FAIL and when inspected this time he would note as pass i always cross reference with Previous Tests if i have done the Previous one i already have the records but any kit going for test the NEW inspector should be given the Previous test for such purpose along with any Weekly / Monthly Recorded Checks that have been made if same inspector and he cross referenced then bet he was thinking WHATS happening here

Yes it was the same inspector. As i stated I rarely use hitch cord, this was in the bottom of my bag. I said do not bother lOLERing that as I don't use it. He mentioned it would have failed anyway, so the conversation about it ensued.

I washed it and had my inspections done 6 month later. You know the rest.

It must be hard to keep up to speed with all the recent advances in climbing kit.

• 1 month later...

Its all subjective. The point is the kit is inspected by a competent person. Opinion on wear and tear differ.

The main issue is in the even of an accident your inspections are scrutinized, this where the the **** can hit the fan. As an inspector myself I take the view that if Im happy to climb on it its safe to pass ( with the exception of modified kit as mentioned in previous posts) Some inspectors can be over zealous especially newly qualified ones or those who have never climbed.

You can Loler it on Monday and by Friday the gates sticky if its been raining and dirty. You need to check and learn how to look after your climbing kit. Don't leave the yard if your not happy with your kit. Your boss might be a mean old wanker, but if you end up at the undertakers he'll have to explain to your family why. And it might not even be his fault.