Transit hoist

Stump squatter

Ok so my transit hoist is stuffed the hoist part I've found a working one but the van is just a heap and it's in the midlands I wanna get it to my home house berkshire can I use a towing frame like one in the picture or wats the law on them I have trailer licence so that's no issue [ATTACH]198365[/ATTACH]

Those A frames are only allowed for recovery of a broken down (but otherwise legal) vehicle or a gross weight of less than 750kg unless the brakes of the towed vehicle are operated by the service brake of the towing vehicle ( I see no overrun braking arrangement).

In practice many people do it without meeting the braking requirement but I wouldn't as I dislike towing at the best of times.

I think Dumper is wrong

As far as I understand once the A frame is attached then in the eyes of the law it becomes a trailer

So attach a trailer board displaying the reg number of the towing vehicle, put black gaffer tape over its own reg number so any anpr cameras don't incorrectly pick it up

Then the only thing to worry about is it being unbraked and weighing more than the 750kg where you need brakes

I have towed all sorts country wide with one ranging from small citroens to land rovers and never being stopped

Just remember to leave the key in with the ignition switch in the on position (battery disconnected) so the steering follows you

Deffo illegal, and the fact that two posters in this thread haven't been pulled for doing it doesn't make it legal, it makes them lucky.

If you "A"-frame a vehicle for transportation purposes it legally becomes a trailer and, if the maximum permitted gross weight of the "trailer" exceeds 750kg it must have brakes on all wheels which comply with the minimum efficiency specified in EU law. It will not, and cannot achieve this. It would also have to comply with all the other trailer regulations (handbrakes, lights, reflectors, auto-reverse brakes, etc). No chance!

If you are recovering a broken down vehicle you can use an "A"-frame, but only to recover it to the "nearest safe place", which will be the first layby or similar area where the casualty can be left off the carriageway. From that point on, "A"-framing it would not be allowed. In this case the casualty must of course be taxed, tested, and insured.

The only safe and legal way to move your new van is on a trailer or flatbed.