My HGV Thread

roseyweb

Would someone explain to me the weight classes please? When you talk about, say, a 14 tonner are you talking about gross vehicle mass, payload etc?

I've just upgraded from my little truck to something more substantial but not on this scale. It seems the older gear is (hopefully) bullet proof as there little in the way of electronics and turbos to go wrong.

I'd normally gvw. The problem with older kit is getting parts!

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[ATTACH]198390[/ATTACH]

My new little toy is proving itself.

A 4x4 14 tonner.

I do know what you mean about having the crane mounted at the rear though. Still, can't have it all ways.

Did you get that from up my way or Durham as looks fermillior?

Looks a good truck nd something I'd like to look at now iv got a bigger yard and more space to store it.

We touched on this before but its also worth looking at the train weights of some trucks. Our little ten tonner is allowed eight tons of trailer behind it, if its piped for trailer air and plated you may find you have a truck that could also pull a timber trailer legally. A side tip truck with rear mount crane would lend itself for this.

Bob

Bob makes a point about train weights, it's with looking at as some are surprisingly low.

Also, Bob what your thoughts on side tippers? Our local ag engineer thinks I may over stress the chassis and I could have issues with whatever is being tipped flowing under the wheels?

I like Pete's set up but am not sure about using on mine cut to the extra height of the load bed...

For TTM gross weight per class.

Trailers allowable with appropriate licence which gives a bigger weight.

3.5t 4x4 pick up

7.5t special licence truck but grandad rights still around

18t generally 4 wheel. First proper hgv now lgv

26t 6 wheeler

32t 8wheeler

44t max uk truck and trailer combo on 6 axles. Deduct gross weight per axle less

Then you go into abnormal load territory.

That the simple of it but with the operators licence. Other weights come in. Sometimes people down rate to achieve this.

Uk has lots of rules that don't work with each other well!

Bob makes a point about train weights, it's with looking at as some are surprisingly low.

Also, Bob what your thoughts on side tippers? Our local ag engineer thinks I may over stress the chassis and I could have issues with whatever is being tipped flowing under the wheels?

I like Pete's set up but am not sure about using on mine cut to the extra height of the load bed...

Side tip is good if you have a machine to tidy up after you, if you tip off to the left hand side of the truck its full righthand down as you drive off. No doubt you will be running over some of whats been tipped off anyway but its not a problem. I am with Pete on the rear mount crane ,I cant see there being a problem with the chassis, the mog chassis is no where near as beefy as the truck and thats been fine for fifteen years plus on a side tip. Nice truck you have there Fen :thumbup1:

Bob

i would love a hookloader truck, everything in one, change the bin and you have a plant truck or a massive skip, all plant can be loaded from ground level. have a chipper feeding one skip while another is on the road being emptyed. good sized hiab too. only problem is i dont have the work for one yet, at 26t this scania would probily have a fairly good payload too. rear stear would help a little getting into tight spots i guess?

1234.jpg.b04eddcf7acc589e3947bb19acf3c366.jpg

Side tip is good if you have a machine to tidy up after you, if you tip off to the left hand side of the truck its full righthand down as you drive off. No doubt you will be running over some of whats been tipped off anyway but its not a problem. I am with Pete on the rear mount crane ,I cant see there being a problem with the chassis, the mog chassis is no where near as beefy as the truck and thats been fine for fifteen years plus on a side tip. Nice truck you have there Fen :thumbup1:

Bob

I always reverse out of the tip, keeps all the chips in the right place.

Side tip is less stress on everything, the geometry makes lower tip heights, shorter distance from pivot point to ram mount etc. Far less likely to tip a side tip truck over while tipping too.