My HGV Thread

roseyweb

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

IME/IMO of using/driving, never owning mind, sub 18tonners with decent crane and tipping gear are too easy to overload.

In the next few years I'm aiming for something like this, a scania p94 with 13m crane, about 5 ton payload

[ATTACH]198398[/ATTACH]

That's a beautiful truck and I've seen loads like that in my price range but a big job to drive about.

There's a 4x4 merc on the bay but for off road I can forward timber out with my digger.

There's a nice wagon and drag timber lorry on bay too with rear mount crane, looking at what you can get I don't know why I thought transits were even a option for so long

If the scania is in decent nick, not abused. In budget. That is what I'd be getting. It's the truck that constantly performs reliably throughout it's life.

I drive a 12 and a 14 yr old concrete mixers that havnt had a lot if tlc. They still go well. Low cost of ownership over the lifespan as well.

Someone do doubt will be mentioning a Friday build lemon after I've said this.

The older none electronic trucks are the way to go, a friend of mine has upgraded his Scanias and has regretted it, he has a bill on the table for north of 10K for an injection problem thats still there. After changing just about everything they decided it was an ecu fault, and thats a Scania main dealer.

Bob

Someone do doubt will be mentioning a Friday build lemon after I've said this.

Didn't take long. But that's not good from a dealer. It's always worth asking for the old parts to prove work has been done.

Should it not be done right you can have then put back on and they should take the replacement back and reimburse.

£10k very bad.

Didn't take long. But that's not good from a dealer. It's always worth asking for the old parts to prove work has been done.

Should it not be done right you can have then put back on and they should take the replacement back and reimburse.

£10k very bad.

Its no help if you dont get the truck back until you cough up though,the bill was a shock but the truck was off the road for a month which is worse and ironically he had to get his old Scania out to fill in. Brilliant old truck :thumbup1:

image.jpg3_zpsyzky4jkm.jpg

A few of my mates are into transport and they all take the mick out of my old Foden except when I have to go out and recover them on my lowlaoder from as far afield as Manchester , this has happened on at least six occasions in the last few years. They reckon the only reason VOSA leave me alone is because they will run out of ink before they finish their shift:laugh1: Top tip, keep away from modern HGV trucks unless they are contract maintained,

Bob

I've got a Mercedes 17t 4x4 it great. I'm a big fan of the crane at rear. However, my plan was to move the crane forward and put a tipper on the back. But I'd lose much of the utility of the crane. I'm not overly convinced of a sideways topper for to the chassis high on mine (it's 4x4). I considered swapping out for a 13t, but think you may so over load it. It's not to bad on fuel either.

A log grab and clamshell bucket SSR really handy as well!

1454880812462.jpg.fe80787d85615040b26b7415c1579c6d.jpg

Would someone explain to me the weight classes please? When you talk about, say, a 14 tonner are you talking about gross vehicle mass, payload etc?

I've just upgraded from my little truck to something more substantial but not on this scale. It seems the older gear is (hopefully) bullet proof as there little in the way of electronics and turbos to go wrong.