Staff having to leave for emergency.?

benedmonds

Staff home emergency?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Staff home emergency?

• Carry on with work, can sort it at the end of the day.
    • Expect the worker to sort their own transport at their cost.
    • Pay for cab to take them home.
    • Drop everything and drive them home.
    • Other - please elaborate...

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the time you pack all your gear up and leave the site reasonably tidy, for all three to take him home there could have been a taxi waiting for the chap 'needing' to leave. He can get himself home just as swiftly. I don't see a problem with that.

If it's not possible, then it's unfortunate that a real emergency has to be dealt with. ...

That's my view.. Just wanted to check I was being reasonable..

Each situation is different.

In someways the fact that a team have bonded to such an extent that they want to help their work mate get to where they need to be, is a good thing!! far better than them being at each others throats.

But if a taxi can do the job and the other lads can crack on, all the better.

absolutely depends on the nature of the emergency. If his girlfriends broken down then i'm afraid thats touch luck for not taking out AA cover, he can find his own way there without it affecting me financially.

Bang on. It is very rare that people get a real emergency, but when they do then yes try and sort. But inconveniences or minor emergencies, Why should the employer be out of pocket.

Hypothetical..ish question - If you have a member of staff or free lancer who has to leave a job for an emergency at home that is about an hour away. They are in a team of 3 and the job could go on without them.

What would you expect the team to do?

I would expect the person leaving site on an emergency to inform me they were leaving site so I could make the decision on whether to arrange transport for them or if they could arrange their own transport & this would be dependant on the location of the job, the finances available to the person with the emergency.

I would not expect anyone else to leave site to take them until speaking to me first, as the business owner, the decision lies with me as to who leaves the job to assist.

If the person leaving was an employee then I would expect them to use holiday entitlement for the time away from the job & if it were a subby then I would expect an invoice for the time on site only.

It depends on so many factors. If your blooming miles away I'd call a favor from people who may be able to give them a lift. If it's only a half hour round trip, one lad runs the guy home while the other carried on/looks after site.

We've had to do this one or two times over the years. Both times the job over ran and ended up costing us something. But an emergency is an emergency. Look after your workforce and they will look after you.

I would expect the person leaving site on an emergency to inform me they were leaving site so I could make the decision on whether to arrange transport for them or if they could arrange their own transport & this would be dependant on the location of the job, the finances available to the person with the emergency.

I would not expect anyone else to leave site to take them until speaking to me first, as the business owner, the decision lies with me as to who leaves the job to assist.

If the person leaving was an employee then I would expect them to use holiday entitlement for the time away from the job & if it were a subby then I would expect an invoice for the time on site only.

You sir are ALL heart :001_rolleyes:

It depends on so many factors. If your blooming miles away I'd call a favor from people who may be able to give them a lift. If it's only a half hour round trip, one lad runs the guy home while the other carried on/looks after site.

We've had to do this one or two times over the years. Both times the job over ran and ended up costing us something. But an emergency is an emergency. Look after your workforce and they will look after you.

Word.

That would go down well if their mother had died.:001_huh:

There are far more important things in life than work. Plus how often do these emergencies come up, more or less never so it's not really an issue imo.