help pricing a job please

flatyre

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never worked anything on CIS I presume you can reclaim/account got in some way the tax outgoing so you don't end up paying too much tax?

Interested to find out as there will be quite s bit to tender for this coming year nearby as there is loads of building going on!!

Have a look here:

https://www.gov.uk/topic/business-tax/construction-industry-scheme

• 2 weeks later...
Hey folks a construction firm has asked me to put in a quote for a job. Basically the area in pink is to be levelled, membrane, and ornate gravel, with low maintenance shrubs, its about one hundred yards long, mostly about five feet wide, opening up to a triangle thirty feet long by fifteen feet wide at the entrance. Eighteen ash whips planted between A and B. From B to D is to be planted with 3 to 3.5m Malus Profusion and 2.5 to 3m Cherry Prunus Spire. All gardens are to be turfed, however the ground has been brought up to the level of the kerbs, unfortunately it is pure glar which will need a few inches removed and topsoil brought in to give a workable surface to lay the turf on. I have done this type of work before separately and only as an employee, so basically I haven't got a clue how to price it. I know its a big ask from a poor drawing but even a ball park figure would get me started.

Redbridge_zpsrvhqdzze.png

Hey folks still trying to get a price drawn up for this job, the pink area is to have weed membrane and decorative gravel so according to my calculations there are roughly 320 sqm and at 50mm deep that's 16 metres which according to Myers Building Supplies that's 30.72 tonnes of grevel which at the best local suppliers price is £1,380 for gravel plus £200 for membrane and pegs. Then according to my calculations there is 1,640 sqm of turf which at the best local price is £4,467.36. That's over 6k!:001_huh:Then on top of that the price for trees and shrubs and a small section of hedging. Are my calculations way off or is that about right? When I say local I mean regional. If someone can give me any advice before sending in the quote I'd be very grateful. Thanks, John

Northern Ireland, we only have two decent sized firms and both charge about the same, £272 per 100sqm. I reckon there will be 7k in materials at Northern Ireland prices, is 9,000 too steep a final price?

Double materials price is not far wrong in lots of cases!!

Does it have to be turfed? I always think big areas like that should be seeded especially with Spring coming it does not take long for the seed to take. And you could seed it for a tenth of the price of turf(depending on seed price over there)

I think they need the houses finished and sold asap, its in a very expensive area, probably paid over the odds for the site and need too get their money back quickly, very busy site with everyone tripping over each other, must be looking a quick turnaround. Whoever gets the job has a very small window of time to get in, get the work done, and get out. Two weeks max, they want it started at the beginning of March and finished by mid March at the latest. Two weeks to turn a chaotic building site into a plush estate. Maybe its a turnkey thing, cutlery already in the kitchen, toilet roll in the bathrooms, manicured grass on the lawn!