Songs I Am Listening To

Old Monkey

1 hour ago, Paul Cleaver said:

Im glad more woman are playing guitar, especially rock guitar nowerdays. They have thin fingers - it makes sense

But the more I think about it the stranger it is that we all have very different shoe and glove sizes for which we buy different shoe and gloves.

My wife’s hands and fingers are half the size of mine and her shoes are size 6 whereas mine are 11

Then there are those tiny Chinese girls playing the piano incredibly well and you would not have thought that they could even stretch an octave!

So why are there not different keyboards and fret boards to match?

i was asked to play the organ in our local Church the other day. The hymns went quite well but I was not sure what to play as people were coming in and leaving at the end.  I chose Riders on the Storm but played at quarter speed!  One person recognised it!  But the point about the organ in the Church is that it is a Snetzler from 1775 and very rare and valuable but the keys on it are about three quarters of the width of normal keys and it was very difficult for me not to hit three notes at the same time with one of my great fat fingers!

Edited by Billhook
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, Billhook said:

But the more I think about it the stranger it is that we all have very different shoe and glove sizes for which we buy different shoe and gloves.

My wife’s hands and fingers are half the size of mine and her shoes are size 6 whereas mine are 11

Then there are those tiny Chinese girls playing the piano incredibly well and you would not have thought that they could even stretch an octave!

i was asked to play the organ in our local Church the other day. The hymns went quite well but I was not sure what to play as people were coming in and leaving at the end.  I chose Riders on the Storm but played at quarter speed!  One person recognised it!  But the point about the organ in the Church is that it is a Snetzler from 1775 and very rare and valuable but the keys on it are about three quarters of the width of normal keys and it was very difficult for me not to hit three notes at the same time with one of my great fat fingers!

There are differences in fret boards . For example nut widths vary from about 42mm up to 43mm . String spacings also . On an American Strat it is wider than an "import " ( Japanese or Korean made )  . Wilkinson trem spacings are in between the two   .  Scale length is 25.5 inches .  neck profiles can be different .  D shape , U shape V shape ,  V blending to shallow D as you go up the neck .  Fret board radius cam be  7.25 inch 9 inch , 10 inch 12 inch or compound radius say , 9 flattening to a 12 as you go up the neck . All this on a Fender Strat . Telecasaters a usually narrower , 42 mm nut .  Gibson scale length is 24.75 inch . I have an SG that I struggle with as it is too wide for me but my ES335 is narrow like a Fender Tele . There many combinations .

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Billhook said:

I think a great deal of it is to do with proportionality. Pre-amplification, if you wanted a big sound you had to make a big thing.
Perhaps people were smaller in 1775. Good choice. You could have fun with a church organ.

I think a great deal of it is to do with proportionality. Pre-amplification, if you wanted a big sound you had to make a big thing.
Perhaps people were smaller in 1775. Good choice. You could have fun with a church organ.

Couldn’t help thinking of this ‘classic’ [emoji51]

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Stubby said:

There are differences in fret boards . For example nut widths vary from about 42mm up to 43mm . String spacings also . On an American Strat it is wider than an "import " ( Japanese or Korean made )  . Wilkinson trem spacings are in between the two   .  Scale length is 25.5 inches .  neck profiles can be different .  D shape , U shape V shape ,  V blending to shallow D as you go up the neck .  Fret board radius cam be  7.25 inch 9 inch , 10 inch 12 inch or compound radius say , 9 flattening to a 12 as you go up the neck . All this on a Fender Strat . Telecasaters a usually narrower , 42 mm nut .  Gibson scale length is 24.75 inch . I have an SG that I struggle with as it is too wide for me but my ES335 is narrow like a Fender Tele . There many combinations .

But compared to different shoe and glove sizes you are talking of a fraction of an inch difference and most modern keyboards are one size fits all

There is absolutely no way I could wear my wife’s shoes and gloves and clothes so another of my fantasies out of the window!

in spite of sausage fingers and farmers hands I can still just about play my fender strat and people have paid me in the past to listen but they had probably drunk too much!

3 minutes ago, Billhook said:

There is absolutely no way I could wear my wife’s shoes and gloves and clothes so another of my fantasies out of the window!

Not even at the week end ?

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, TIMON said:

Couldn’t help thinking of this ‘classic’ emoji51.png

Indeed, "The Abominable Dr Billhook"  has a certain ring to it.  Perhaps I should record a rendition of Riders on the Storm on the Snetzler and put it on Youtube so you can understand what abominable really is!

• Like 1