Songs I Am Listening To

Old Monkey

5 hours ago, Macpherson said:

Pretty good, didn't read vid title and was momentarily unaware that this was a cover... but I still think that Randy Hansen is the worlds closest to Jimi.

It's interesting that apparently JH  was a righty who played left and Randy is a lefty who plays right.. so both used there dominant hand on the neck where the norm would usually be the opposite .. including me.

As a righty, trying to play the music of J, Mayer has taught me the importance of the picking hand and I'm very grateful.

Sorry to be long winded but if you liked Jimi you really will  probably enjoy Randy's take on the songs of the long gone brilliant composer and they're playing  now to go to a gig is only around $25

As a leftie who plays leftie, also a chainsaw leftie, I do find the left right subject fascinating.  I also play piano and enjoy boogie woogie where my dominant left hand provides a strong rhythm where my right hand does the fiddly bits.  This is the same on my guitar, right hand doing the fiddly bits.

Hendrix is a massive influence ever since I heard Purple Haze in 1967 when i was 13.  I bitterly regret turning down an opportunity to see him and the Pink Floyd  and Clapton near here at Spalding as it was harder to move around in those days at that age and just a bit too far to bicycle!

WWW.SPALDINGVOICE.CO.UK

Colin Ward was – by his own admission – a rather naïve 17-year-old at the time of ...

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Billhook said:

As a leftie who plays leftie, also a chainsaw leftie, I do find the left right subject fascinating.  I also play piano and enjoy boogie woogie where my dominant left hand provides a strong rhythm where my right hand does the fiddly bits.  This is the same on my guitar, right hand doing the fiddly bits.

Hendrix is a massive influence ever since I heard Purple Haze in 1967 when i was 13.  I bitterly regret turning down an opportunity to see him and the Pink Floyd  and Clapton near here at Spalding as it was harder to move around in those days at that age and just a bit too far to bicycle!

I also find the which handed argument intriguing as essentially when you start you can't use either hand... so as a righty I've spent 52 years trying to get my left hand into line while my dominant right was lazily very much taken for granted, and totally wrongly as I've recently found.

In reflection if I was to start again knowing what I know now... would I choose to use my dominant hand for picking or working the neck.. I'm actually not sure, and although all this time that has passed in which as a practical engineering repair guy and would be musician I find myself increasingly more and more ambidextrous, which may be a more balanced natural state if we weren't pigeon holed L or H at an early age.

To test this I'm fairly interested in getting hold of a decent LH acoustic of the same ilk of my RH usual's just to see  if learning to play the other way is in any way terribly hard..  bearing in mind that now I know what I want the fingers to do

To me, regardless of what your led to believe at the early learning stage in life it can all be corrected with intelligent practice of anything.

Seems we are similar opposites in that I have a full size Korg electric piano which I would love a solid left hand for but I feel liked a complete novice with... although my right is  boogie central with no probs, but  I suppose that that's one of the challenges of everyday life when trying to get a grip with music,  cheers.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Macpherson said:

I also find the which handed argument intriguing as essentially when you start you can't use either hand... so as a righty I've spent 52 years trying to get my left hand into line while my dominant right was lazily very much taken for granted, and totally wrongly as I've recently found.

In reflection if I was to start again knowing what I know now... would I choose to use my dominant hand for picking or working the neck.. I'm actually not sure, and although all this time that has passed in which as a practical engineering repair guy and would be musician I find myself increasingly more and more ambidextrous, which may be a more balanced natural state if we weren't pigeon holed L or H at an early age.

To test this I'm fairly interested in getting hold of a decent LH acoustic of the same ilk of my RH usual's just to see  if learning to play the other way is in any way terribly hard..  bearing in mind that now I know what I want the fingers to do

To me, regardless of what your led to believe at the early learning stage in life it can all be corrected with intelligent practice of anything.

Seems we are similar opposites in that I have a full size Korg electric piano which I would love a solid left hand for but I feel liked a complete novice with... although my right is  boogie central with no probs, but  I suppose that that's one of the challenges of everyday life when trying to get a grip with music,  cheers.

I have a friend ( tree surgeon as i happens ) who shoots left handed ( left cast off on the stock ) and plays squash right handed . He also has one green eye and one blue . Don't know if that has any bearing on it .

• Like 1

I think a lot is to do with how strongly your brain is wired at birth.  I am totally left handed,  left footed, left eyed which they say is right brained. I was never told which way to hold a guitar,  I wanted a guitar one Christmas aged about ten  (please mummy and daddy!) went off to a music shop and the owner told me I was holding the guitar the wrong way round, but I insisted to hold it left handed so they had to change the strings .

At school there were no left handed instruments so violins, cellos, saxophones, trombones, oboes clarinets and many more were not for me although nowadays I think they are available.

Don't start me off on chainsaws!

I shoot left handed with left leading eye, bow and arrow the same, snooker, I mount a bike from the right side although ambidextrous with the fairer sex!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Billhook said:

I mount a bike from the right side

So do I.. strangely enough, anytime I had to bumpstart a bike, which was many, I always did it from the right side whereas I did notice that most folk were the opposite👍

2 hours ago, Macpherson said:

So do I.. strangely enough, anytime I had to bumpstart a bike, which was many, I always did it from the right side whereas I did notice that most folk were the opposite👍

I do not ride horses but we were in South Africa at a beach resort and they had these horse rides.  Had a few beers so I thought what could possibly go wrong.  Well for a start the horse made it clear that it was not going to let me mount from the right side!

My wife and I followed the guide on his horse down the beach.  The horses know the routine and walked very steadily behind the guide.  But the kept stopping and wanted to turn back as I believe they had already done a morning stint and felt that two stints was unfair

However the guide insisted that we reach the turning point at which my horse set off like Silver in the Lone Ranger.  Nothing seemed the slow him down, pulled hard on the reins but no effect.  We reached a steep sand dune by the farm and my horse  bounded up and just as steep the other side I ended up with my legs either side of his ears!  But I didn’t fall off.   I am sure this was all a punishment for trying to mount from the wrong side!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Billhook said:

just had a closer look at the Are you experienced video and it is strung for a right hander

Aye, it would never sound right [ correct 🙄 ] if it wasn't, he seems a really straight up guy also from Seattle and he's been playing Hendrix stuff since the man was alive.

He has an American band  and a German band.. both good but the latter being imo the closest with Ufowalter on bass and Manni Von Bohr on drums, both excellent in their own right and they've been together for years and are probably tighter and definitely more practiced than Jimi's set ups.

There's also good poor footage of Randy and Ufo with Buddy Miles drumming.

I remember getting off the school bus and hearing of Jimi's death, so I've a lifelong connection to his music... but you can go and see Randy and not for silly money either, he was recently touring parts of the EU and the ticket price was a mere £25 and in small intimate venues with probably only a few hundred folk attending.

Ufo on bass is amazing himself, apparently when they first met he had a band where he performed Jimi's songs on bass with no guitar present, very interesting to watch.

And I'll put this up as well as an intro to Ufo who seems post all their stuff and anytime I've left a comment he replies quickly and a short conversation can be had.

I find it very hard not to watch them and just tonight looking for these links I've watched a full gig and a lot of other stuff👍hope you enjoy.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Macpherson said:

Aye, it would never sound right [ correct 🙄 ] if it wasn't, he seems a really straight up guy also from Seattle and he's been playing Hendrix stuff since the man was alive.

He has an American band  and a German band.. both good but the latter being imo the closest with Ufowalter on bass and Manni Von Bohr on drums, both excellent in their own right and they've been together for years and are probably tighter and definitely more practiced than Jimi's set ups.

There's also good poor footage of Randy and Ufo with Buddy Miles drumming.

I remember getting off the school bus and hearing of Jimi's death, so I've a lifelong connection to his music... but you can go and see Randy and not for silly money either, he was recently touring parts of the EU and the ticket price was a mere £25 and in small intimate venues with probably only a few hundred folk attending.

Ufo on bass is amazing himself, apparently when they first met he had a band where he performed Jimi's songs on bass with no guitar present, very interesting to watch.

And I'll put this up as well as an intro to Ufo who seems post all their stuff and anytime I've left a comment he replies quickly and a short conversation can be had.

I find it very hard not to watch them and just tonight looking for these links I've watched a full gig and a lot of other stuff👍hope you enjoy.

Thank you for those links

It is almost like I did not need to see Hendrix live as he is so like the man.  Reincarnation???

Certainly has the teeth to play with them!

Back in 1995 Gregg Wright started a band called Gregg Wright's Left Hook and the bass player lived in our village.  Gregg ended up staying with me for three months and it also was like having Hendrix in the house.  He is left handed but plays with the strings strung right handed.  At one point in his life he told me he was having trouble being asked to play Hendrix tributes that he began to question his own identity

and many years earlier with Michael Jackson

I am afraid not much of his great talent rubbed off on me!!

• Like 1