Songs I Am Listening To

Old Monkey

I don't think many will have heard this Jimi Hendrix version of 1983, a merman..... as as far as I know It only appears on the 50th { feck me } anniversary 4 cd box edition of electric landlady😄 released quite recently.. comparatively speaking.

When I was young I took this song to be about the nuclear threat, others about Vietnam, but it's one of my favourite pieces of music / guitar ever, and I think this laid bare solo, raw performance gives into insight into the basics of the man's playing is one of the few existing examples of his basic technique.

With the subject being  never more relevant than today, and although 54 years have passed since this was first played. it's sentiment still stands strong for me, and don't think that anything has changed for the better in my entire life.

I don't suppose this will mean much to most folk today, but for those who enjoy guitar .... headphones required👍

And he's a half step down for anyone interested, I like hearing the page being turned, cheers.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Macpherson said:

I don't think many will have heard this Jimi Hendrix version of 1983, a merman..... as as far as I know It only appears on the 50th { feck me } anniversary 4 cd box edition of electric landlady😄 released quite recently.. comparatively speaking.

When I was young I took this song to be about the nuclear threat, others about Vietnam, but it's one of my favourite pieces of music / guitar ever, and I think this laid bare solo, raw performance gives into insight into the basics of the man's playing is one of the few existing examples of his basic technique.

With the subject being  never more relevant than today, and although 54 years have passed since this was first played. it's sentiment still stands strong for me, and don't think that anything has changed for the better in my entire life.

I don't suppose this will mean much to most folk today, but for those who enjoy guitar .... headphones required👍

And he's a half step down for anyone interested, I like hearing the page being turned, cheers.

I have heard Jim play this on another album ( vinyl ) but a more " full fat " version . Axis Bold As Love ?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Stubby said:

I have heard Jim play this on another album ( vinyl ) but a more " full fat " version . Axis Bold As Love ?

I had to google it but this recording was made in a New York apartment in 1968, just Jimi and as I said 'laid bare'...

The version you're thinking of was on Electric Ladyland, one of my most worn out pieces of vinyl, where he plays all the guitars including bass and the whole thing is quite heavily produced but still great.

I only heard this version for the first time yesterday, it's been lost in the ether until this 50th anniversary 4 disc release which I'm going to have to get... there's just so little stuff apart from the few albums, I think only 2 acoustic recordings so to hear something new to me at least, is just so rare.

It's kind of strange to be excited about a piece of music from someone that died 52 years ago, but he was a 1 off and i doubt anyone else has influenced todays music more, and all before he was 28.

Cheers.

Edited by Macpherson
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Stubby said:

Yep . I was 17 when he died . Fond it hard to come to terms with for a bit .

Yep, I'd only just discovered him... he was the first death in my life.. had a bad go at that song about 35 years ago maybe I should have another go, there's a fair few covers on youtube and a couple are very good.

• Like 1

Probly a generational thing, but apart from the intro and middle bit I don't find this to be musical.

I generally like most of what you post on this thread , but I've never been able to find 'Metal' for the most part to be 'music', and I've never thought that music and whipped up aggression to be useful bedfellows.

So I'll reply to the noise you posted😁 and without any apology here's Jimi's best living student, 👍

Absolutely no offence meant regarding  you're selection of metal, but with you're eyes shut could you tell  that this was a cover, cheers.

• Like 3