Potential Stihl ms181 purchase

Daveo

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

I would avoid the MS261 unless someone convinces me the clutch bearing issues which continue to crop up all too frequently here are fixed for good.

If you do get a 181 its best with a shorter bar as its only about 32cc, Id say 16 is max for my own 250 - 45cc ? which runs a 14" well now its been modded.

I would take a good look at Dolmar 350/420 or similar priced Echo & run it on Aspen if your not going to be using it frequently.

N

On paper the 261 sounds like a good saw but it does have a habit of eating clutch bearings. Keep an eye on them and keep them greased.

The 211 should do you proud. Know someone who's go one, who regularly cuts firewood and also for the occasional small fell. Got him through a CS30/31 plus 2-4 years of use.

One of our guys works with a Stihl 170 and has done for the past 3 years and that saws been put through hell and its still going. He may have done more in the past 3 years than you'll do in the next 10 years so looking at the 181 I'd say you're not far off what you need. An sure it you find you are doing big timber on a regular basis you can trade it in a few years. I'd spend 250 on a saw and the rest on PPE and short training course - more useful than a big saw.

Hi

I would avoid the MS261 unless someone convinces me the clutch bearing issues which continue to crop up all too frequently here are fixed for good.

If you do get a 181 its best with a shorter bar as its only about 32cc, Id say 16 is max for my own 250 - 45cc ? which runs a 14" well now its been modded.

I would take a good look at Dolmar 350/420 or similar priced Echo & run it on Aspen if your not going to be using it frequently.

N

I'm sure the mechanic at FR Jones told me the newer ones now have been sorted. I can't remember what the reason was but this was one of my concerns and he assured me this wasn't the case. Mine hasn't gone yet and I've had it for about 6 months with fairly regular use. I really like mine to be honest; definitely my go to saw, but horses for courses and all that!

I am very much a recent newbie to using a chainsaw.

A friend of mine lent me his 181 with 16 inch bar.

I used it half a dozen times over 6 weeks.

I cant tell you how it compares to other saws, but can say I got on well with the saw. I felled 2 small ash trees and a blackthorn tree. I also cut these down to logs for seasoning. The saw coped well with both tasks. This was my first time felling trees so I was not too concerned with the speed of felling, and the saw did slow down at times, but as a noob I was happy to take my time.

All in all my experience with this saw was good, obviously this is not a comment about long term use or a comment on other recommendations in this thread, but I thought it might be useful info for op as our situation seems similar.

Bob

I would like Stihl, because of the brand I guess the Mrs is getting it as a bday present so my budget was about £250, was think I could put more towards it but need to buy all the safety kit and maintenance stuff aswell. Would obvisoley consider more money for a better option and other models open to sujjestions

Thanks

Lots of good saws around but you fancy a stihl then go for it. If you can't see the use for a bigger saw then 181 with a 14 inch bar will be better on fuel than a bigger saw, chains and bars cheaper. Slower of course and wouldn't last so long as a bigger pro saw but if you're not going to earn your living with it then time is not really an issue unless you want it to be. At a push it would still cut up to 28inch dia from both sides if you are prepared to take your time. We've had about 25 leylandii up to 28 inch diameter and 50 ft high taken down by a guy with nothing more than a ms211 with a 16 inch bar. Didn't take any longer per tree than the other firm with all the pro kit.

However if you think you will want to cut faster then spend your money now.

I am very much a recent newbie to using a chainsaw.

A friend of mine lent me his 181 with 16 inch bar.

I used it half a dozen times over 6 weeks.

I cant tell you how it compares to other saws, but can say I got on well with the saw. I felled 2 small ash trees and a blackthorn tree. I also cut these down to logs for seasoning. The saw coped well with both tasks. This was my first time felling trees so I was not too concerned with the speed of felling, and the saw did slow down at times, but as a noob I was happy to take my time.

All in all my experience with this saw was good, obviously this is not a comment about long term use or a comment on other recommendations in this thread, but I thought it might be useful info for op as our situation seems similar.

Bob

They cut well enough on a sharp chain,I have run a couple of them and they do the job, step up to a small pro saw and you notice the difference for sure.:001_smile:

I'm sure the mechanic at FR Jones told me the newer ones now have been sorted. I can't remember what the reason was but this was one of my concerns and he assured me this wasn't the case. Mine hasn't gone yet and I've had it for about 6 months with fairly regular use. I really like mine to be honest; definitely my go to saw, but horses for courses and all that!

I did see a post regarding the re-vamped 261 & 362 recently which suffers similar problem, but time will tell.

A 16" bar seems too long for a 181, but if you're not in a rush.

N

Thanks everyone for your advice, going to the local dealer tomorrow they sell echo, husky, and Stihl so will get a good opertunity to try them all hopefully, didn't realise a bigger bar made the saw slower but I'm totally new to chainsaws every day is a school day