Sharpening chainsaw on site

toxicity2182

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

I kneel, engine between the legs, bar clamped in a log.

A cut in the log, a bit deeper than the height of the bar, wedge it in with the scrench so the chain doesn't catch on the wood.

It holds better than any stump vice I've ever used, and you can use it with woid as thin as 3" (try getting a stump vice secure in a 3" stump...)

1456336123389.jpg.c28d98b3a9701f21744d70c36f711bca.jpg

1456335858891.jpg.e02cd805c109401de753f7b3aefd692a.jpg

A cut in the log, a bit deeper than the height of the bar, wedge it in with the scrench so the chain doesn't catch on the wood.

It holds better than any stump vice I've ever used, and you can use it with woid as thin as 3" (try getting a stump vice secure in a 3" stump...)

Chipper has vice mounted on it, if not with the chipper then either stump vice or tap in vice if in the middle of woodland.

Nearly all the time a vehicle is nearby so just get out the toolbox...

[ATTACH]199770[/ATTACH]

Regards,

Steve.

Both of those are absolutely cracking ideal lads, nice one.

I usually just kneel knees either side of the power head and go from there.

Never heard it called a scrench before. Looks like it would get in the way to me but obviously not for you.

Chipper has vice mounted on it, if not with the chipper then either stump vice or tap in vice if in the middle of woodland.

Nearly all the time a vehicle is nearby so just get out the toolbox...

[ATTACH]199770[/ATTACH]

Regards,

Steve.

That's a bloody good idea. I guess you just drilled the lid on the tool box and bolted the vice on.

The best way to sharpen a chain on site is to bang on a fresh chain and keep cutting! I sharpen my chains in a workshop on Saturdays where it's warm, dry and well lit. All heavy maintaince and sharpening is done on Saturdays, all the kit is prepped for the following Week. How much is a chain as apposed to dicking around sharpening a chain on a job. Time is money, I have at least three sharp chains and two bars for every saw I have. Nobody can get a chain really really sharp on site as apposed to a workshop.

Use a similar technique with a stump cut a little high if we are working a section of woodland for a while.

Dig the dogs into the stump also helps hold it steady.

1456352960010.jpg.d1f6246a0fafed4cf4839f905c583537.jpg

1456352942372.jpg.5e948e29dc1f7895d659999edb1ee471.jpg