10w30 Engine oil

scbk

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We put it in everything Ian , lorries ,tractors, vans and small plant. No issues.

Bob

We have always done the same. I even use it in most of the petrols. The only time I don't is if I think the piston seal is mostly down to carbon. I could be talking rubbish but in my early years of engine building we regularly had discussions about not putting high detergent oils in knackered engines and there was a theory that one of the lads sierras let go because of this. Stuck piston rings suddenly freeing up.

We have always done the same. I even use it in most of the petrols. The only time I don't is if I think the piston seal is mostly down to carbon. I could be talking rubbish but in my early years of engine building we regularly had discussions about not putting high detergent oils in knackered engines and there was a theory that one of the lads sierras let go because of this. Stuck piston rings suddenly freeing up.

I thought the argument was that the high detergent oil would cause crud that had stuck to sidewalls to flake off and then block lines before they got back to the filter?

I thought the argument was that the high detergent oil would cause crud that had stuck to sidewalls to flake off and then block lines before they got back to the filter?

Could be although we don't actually see much crud in engines these days unless they had some really bad problems before rebuild. I think modern oil looks dirty quicker either because it holds the dirt in suspension rather than leave it all around the engine or the egr shoots it up straight away.

Could be although we don't actually see much crud in engines these days unless they had some really bad problems before rebuild. I think modern oil looks dirty quicker either because it holds the dirt in suspension rather than leave it all around the engine or the egr shoots it up straight away.

This was my point, high detergent oils keep modern engines clean inside but old engine used to be dirtier. So it was considered unwise to start using a high detergent oil on an engine that had spent it's life on straight oil. Not something I ever experienced but what I was told.

This was my point, high detergent oils keep modern engines clean inside but old engine used to be dirtier. So it was considered unwise to start using a high detergent oil on an engine that had spent it's life on straight oil. Not something I ever experienced but what I was told.

That is spot on with my understanding too. It was quite an issue back in the transitional times of the 70's and 80's when high detergent oils were becoming available.