10w30 Engine oil

scbk

Just wondering, Honda always recommend using 10w30 oil but it's pretty hard to track down! In the past I have used 10w40, 5w30, straight 30, etc.

What is the most suitable oil? The various engines are usually used in temps from just below zero to 20degrees C :biggrin:

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just wondering, Honda always recommend using 10w30 oil but it's pretty hard to track down! In the past I have used 10w40, 5w30, straight 30, etc.

What is the most suitable oil? The various engines are usually used in temps from just below zero to 20degrees C :biggrin:

Always used 10w 40 in Honda engines

I'm pretty sure I saw 10w30 in Halfords last week. Mind you, it was dear. As is just about everything in Halfords. They were about £7 a litre for 10w40 but Asda forecourts were selling it for £4.

Edited by daltontrees

T.C.D will know .........

Honda engines, just like other Japanese engines need are meant to use 10w30 for the UK conditions. TBH it will make very little difference if you go a little either way, say to 10w40 or 5w30, but generally don't use the lower numbers for the higher temperatures and vice versa.

Briggs engines used in temps above freezing are recommended to use a straight SAE 30 and I always stick to this here in Devon, but if in colder climates a 10w30 can be used which keeps the oil a little thinner when cold.

I find that if using a multigrade in a Briggs during the normal cutting season there will be a more oil consumption than with straight 30.

If you have a difficult starting engine that needs just a little more cranking speed the thinner oil is better, but keep a closer eye on the dipstick.

If I am honest it does not really matter too much which oil you use, you really will not cause any harm to the engine, the most important thing is to change it regularly, i.e about every 50 hours in a mower.

As for availability, every mower shop will keep it at reasonable prices. We sell Rock Groundsman at £6.00 per litre or £24.00 for 5litres. Rock Groundsman 4 stroke engine oil with the blue cap covers the 10w30, 10w40 requirements well

Honda engines, just like other Japanese engines need are meant to use 10w30 for the UK conditions. TBH it will make very little difference if you go a little either way, say to 10w40 or 5w30, but generally don't use the lower numbers for the higher temperatures and vice versa.

Briggs engines used in temps above freezing are recommended to use a straight SAE 30 and I always stick to this here in Devon, but if in colder climates a 10w30 can be used which keeps the oil a little thinner when cold.

I find that if using a multigrade in a Briggs during the normal cutting season there will be a more oil consumption than with straight 30.

If you have a difficult starting engine that needs just a little more cranking speed the thinner oil is better, but keep a closer eye on the dipstick.

If I am honest it does not really matter too much which oil you use, you really will not cause any harm to the engine, the most important thing is to change it regularly, i.e about every 50 hours in a mower.

As for availability, every mower shop will keep it at reasonable prices. We sell Rock Groundsman at £6.00 per litre or £24.00 for 5litres. Rock Groundsman 4 stroke engine oil with the blue cap covers the 10w30, 10w40 requirements well

Very useful info Gardenkit, thanks

I've always worried a bit too much about which grade oil to use in various machines resulting in me having four different types in my garage.

Recently had a GX390 rebuilt and the mechanic recommended using straight 30.

GardenKit is spot on

I get 10w-30 syth oil from Halfords, I think it may be sold as motorcycle oil but its the correct grade for Honda.

5W-30 would just flow better at lower temperatures which Im using at the mo as there wasnt any 10w-30

N

Edited by NFG

I'm pretty sure I saw 10w30 in Halfords last week. Mind you, it was dear. As is just about everything in Halfords. They were about £7 a litre for 10w40 but Asda forecourts were selling it for £4.

That is expensive, we use Rye oils 10/40w semi synthetic from a 205 ltr barrel in absolutely everything . That works out at about £1.10 a liter depending who`s on the discount button in the office.

Bob