Log store

Stoatally

This is my experimental log store, basically 4 Harris fence panels in a square. Logs stacked up the sides and thrown into the centre. I will probably put some old corrugated tin on the top when it's full. I hope that being open on 4 sides will help with the seasoning.

1454879137758.jpg.fea56c5ba748123fca0ec86940718bdd.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok so it's 3/4 finished. Need to put supports in the middle at front and rear.

Any suggestions / recommendations for roofing? I've put some OSB on for starters. Can't decide now whether to use the corrugated bitumen sheets or cheap felt covered by feather edge boards. I don't like felt on its own

Ok so it's 3/4 finished. Need to put supports in the middle at front and rear.

Any suggestions / recommendations for roofing? I've put some OSB on for starters. Can't decide now whether to use the corrugated bitumen sheets or cheap felt covered by feather edge boards. I don't like felt on its own

How about felt with lawn turf laid with the grass side down and Sedum sprinkled on top. You'll need guttering and some random logs or stones to hold it down when it gets windy. It shouldn't weigh too much either.

log%20store.jpg

This is about 1/3 of our logs. They're all stacked in full pallet bays. This store holds about 14 cubes. It's mainly softwood. You can see the difference in colour between the freshly split stuff at the front and the seasoned stuff at the bottom left. Pictured is my estate manager and his wife (my mother-in-law :D)

Possibly a bit late, but can you not tilt the roof so it's higher at the front and rain runs down the back? Otherwise it will drip on you when you go to get logs. Plus it's easier to fill when the front end is more open.

Suppose it depends a bit on what drainage is like at the back?

It is a bit late, but I'm going to put some guttering on the front to stop drips running down your neck. It's heigh enough at the front, 1.7m so hardly stooping.

I decided on bitumen corrugated roofing in the end, so first piece is up, rest goes on first thing tomorrow.

I then need to fill it. I've got loads of ash from a local coppice. its in 5-6 foot lengths, my wood burner takes maximum of 13". Should I cut it to 13", 26" or 36"?

Should I then leave it round or split it?

I also have a little bit of cherry in shorter lengths