Log store

Stoatally

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was hoping to build it this weekend but a bout of flu and the crappy weather means next week is more likely.

When it's built I'll be sorts some wood to dry for next winter. Would you store it as whole lengths ( 2') and split / cut next winter, split 2' sections and cut them next winter or cut and split to 12" that will be fully ready next winter?

It will be mostly ash with a couple of cherry trees. That should all season by the next season shouldn't it?

Thanks

I hate getting to a house to find a low log store ,real ball ache to bend over and try and stack everything in, (well it is at my age) try and find a happy medium, but build your own I say,

Exactly. Build a wood store that you can stand up in - your back will thank you.

Also, build one. Don't buy one. Here is mine - it takes 22 cubic metres.

969235_10152127094163136_1186637162_n.jpg?oh=a83019a65bcfcf0ef05bc9764d5fade0&oe=573E2571

Do you cut your own logs or have them delivered ? Just saying as there is nothing worse for deliveries when the customer shows you his brand new log ahead around the back and still thinks your going to charge the same for carrying around an obstacle course to the new log shed!

I try to get stuff that needs cutting and splitting

I guess it's cord or arisings. I can only get it in the boot of the car but I try and source what i can, as cheap as I can.

I wouldn't expect anyone to stack for me, if I did get a delivery I'd have it dumped in the drive and then move and stack it myself

You can tell it's built by a guy with his own mill:thumbup: solid 👍what's on the roof? Felt?

:laugh1: True enough! Heavy duty felt on the roof, though subsequent stores have been done with heavy box profile steel. Looks nicer and is quicker to put on.

Yes it time consuming but you get quicker and the sheds store a lot of logs in a small space. There is 6 cube per bay and we have at least 20 bays here. Only stack the 10"-12" and 12"-16" as the smaller the log the more labour intensive it gets plus more unstable. All the short stuff goes in the crates. Takes about 15-20 mins to stack a cube and takes less time loading the truck from the stack than from a crate so not so bad in the scheme of things.

I stack mine like this too - but to stop stacks becoming unstable I put long logs in at regular intervals to tie the front of the stack to the back. So if you have three rows of 12" logs you put in a 36" log every now and again.