Log store

Stoatally

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These shed are very easy and quick to make. Just 8' fence posts knocked in with a 3x2 frame around the top to take the roofing. Use whatever you can get cheap to make the slats on the sides. Probably worth giving the posts some extra treatment where they go into the ground with some Creosote for longevity.

59766f2b8c6b2_logstores001.jpg.d26d1649cf59a0f1830c9fe61616874e.jpg

Have you got a gap between the stacks of split timber there?

We've got a load of fresh felled ash that we need to season. I guess cutting to the finished length and splitting it will helpmitmdry quicker. Also easier to process it now while it's green?

I'll see if I can go nuts with collecting. I can keep it all in the garage until I build the store.

What about doors for the front, or hang hessian down to keep the worst of the rain off and still allow air circulation?

I've been searching. The forum for loads of other bits like saw horses etc so I'm looking forward to building and filling a new store. Roll on winter 2016

These shed are very easy and quick to make. Just 8' fence posts knocked in with a 3x2 frame around the top to take the roofing. Use whatever you can get cheap to make the slats on the sides. Probably worth giving the posts some extra treatment where they go into the ground with some Creosote for longevity.

Stacking logs like that must be time consuming? By the time you pickup and stack

Have you got a gap between the stacks of split timber there?

We've got a load of fresh felled ash that we need to season. I guess cutting to the finished length and splitting it will helpmitmdry quicker. Also easier to process it now while it's green?

I'll see if I can go nuts with collecting. I can keep it all in the garage until I build the store.

What about doors for the front, or hang hessian down to keep the worst of the rain off and still allow air circulation?

I've been searching. The forum for loads of other bits like saw horses etc so I'm looking forward to building and filling a new store. Roll on winter 2016 ��

Yes gaps between the rows to aid circulation. As for covers for the front I have not done this so far as most years we get some break in the weather for the front to dry out again but this year this has not been the case. Just ordered a large roll green garden mech to hang off the front to keep the worst of the driving rain out.

Stacking logs like that must be time consuming? By the time you pickup and stack

I have a similar construction..... I stack everything I can. Yes it does take a little longer. Very calming and theraputic....Plus I find I can get loads more in the shed than when it's loose.

Saying that, I do have a few bags on pallets for the stuff thats just to gnarly to stack.

Bob

Yes it time consuming but you get quicker and the sheds store a lot of logs in a small space. There is 6 cube per bay and we have at least 20 bays here. Only stack the 10"-12" and 12"-16" as the smaller the log the more labour intensive it gets plus more unstable. All the short stuff goes in the crates. Takes about 15-20 mins to stack a cube and takes less time loading the truck from the stack than from a crate so not so bad in the scheme of things.