Log store

Stoatally

Cut to 11" then it will always fit in the burner, taking into account that the cut might not always be square. Split ASAP stack up loose off the ground as you split and cover to stop the rain soaking it, but allow plenty of air flow. If you can, leave it like this for about a month before tightly stacking in the shed. Air flow is critical to start with in the drying process

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 11 months later...
Moving the yard around in couple of weeks and need to build a new log store.

Any suggestions / good feedback for a solid roof?

Will need to go over approx 10m x 3m.

I normally buy seconds of this Box Profile Roofing Sheets (34/1000) | Cladco Profiles

Is not especially cheap but fast to erect with tek screws and long lasting. Ideally need support every 1.2m along the length

Here's the first wood store that I built.

e816d8f34dcab12c7d10bf690a0e674e.jpg

Don't underestimate the pressure exerted on the sides by the stacked wood. Also don't bother building a floor as it would need to be extremely strong just use pallets on the floor. Leave all sides exposed to allow air flow. Essentially a log store is just a raised roof. I didn't work from any plans rather the size of materials available.

Sent from my B5060 using Tapatalk

What the picture doesn't show is there is no back. Those bay separators and end panels are old picket fences. When stacked with wood the separators bowed so I unstacked and reinforced with timber joists. The roof is onduline which dictated the depth of the store. They're about 5.5' tall and is a pain to stoop under so make taller if possible.

9ef16ebd6ecdc3ee43380aff2da16293.jpg

Each bay holds about 4 cubes stacked (6 cubes loose)

Edited by MonsterMonster

Here's the second store I built. Not good pic. Essentially I took the previous design doubled depth by creating pitched apex roof. Height is over 2m to apex. The first bay has raised floor but rest use pallets on floor. All bays separated using timber joists with split scaffold boards.

8a1fcbb44cace4f1b0b0ce0e2a3ba098.jpg

Six bays in total each holding about 9 cubes stacked (about 13 cubes loose).

Edited by MonsterMonster

I'd cut it smaller and split it sooner, then it'll dry quicker.

Bear in mind that when you stack the wood there should a 2-3" gap between faces to allow air circulation. This brings the next problem of stacking height. The shorter the cut logs the less stable the stack as it increases in height. I cut my wood to 45cm which makes stacking to 6.5'+ a breeze and is more stable. My boiler takes 50cm logs mind. If I cut for small wood burner say 10cm, stacked height will be much lower say 4'.

Any suggestions / good feedback for a solid roof?

Will need to go over approx 10m x 3m.

I spent literally weeks looking for a corrugated steel roof supplier. All the places I looked had absolutely ridiculous delivery prices for what I was after (£120 delivery for a £100 order).

I then came across metal4U, a mere £20 delivery.

I wanted the steel roof as a it should last a good thirty years and then it could be recycled. I'm not really convinced that some of those bitumen corrugated roofs will last the test of time.